Wish List For Next firmware update

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Wish List For Next firmware update 2012

Post by John Bowen »

auricle wrote:How about a granular synthesis oscillator? Also, how about an oscillator specific to FM, with such parameters as pitch settings as a ratio, an additional volume envelope hardwired to oscillator, oscillator feedback, etc.
Yes, these have been mentioned by me already some years ago...both are still planned, with the FM (actually Phase Modulation) being first. This will be based on the same Scope module, which does contain an additional VCA input, but not an actual envelope (although I suppose we could add that as well).

The granular Osc works better with large sample files, so I'm wondering about the effectiveness of it with the 32MB of sample RAM, plus the issue that the granular Osc output will depend entirely on whatever sample is loaded at the time, so a bit more complicated to deal with.
auricle

Post by auricle »

John Bowen wrote:The granular Osc works better with large sample files, so I'm wondering about the effectiveness of it with the 32MB of sample RAM, plus the issue that the granular Osc output will depend entirely on whatever sample is loaded at the time, so a bit more complicated to deal with.
I understand the issue with loaded samples. Couldn't the sample be included as part of the program patch? As for sample size, long files are ideal but very interesting sounds can be made with short vocal or drum groove samples, for example.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

auricle wrote:I understand the issue with loaded samples. Couldn't the sample be included as part of the program patch? As for sample size, long files are ideal but very interesting sounds can be made with short vocal or drum groove samples, for example.
When we first talked about loading the samples, we did discuss whether we should load samples 'on demand' per preset, or require that the sample RAM be loaded first. The fact that it can take several minutes to load a single 32 MB sample precluded taking the 'on demand' approach, even though it might not be typically what you'd do.
auricle

Post by auricle »

Ah, I understand. Then I can see it could be a problem, unless an SSD can be somehow fitted so that samples could be read directly from disk without them having to be loaded first.
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

John Bowen wrote:Well, we did discuss a multisample object for the WAV Osc type - I will have to discuss again next time I’m back there (which is soon).
With multisampling, there is a lot that this will add to SOLARIS. Count my vote in on this. I would rather have multi-sampling that anything else if we are to have but one thig to choose.

My priorities would be:

1) Multi-sampling
2) Multi-sampling
3) Voice/code optimization

I hope that helps as I have a lot of cool sound source gear that I could make available and that I could also use on the SOLARIS.

Of course, for synthesis, my prior posts stand and I am a willing deposit waiting to happen for a SOLARIS expander rack :)

Cheers!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

his would be a good idea to have a looped sample with 750mm ribbon controller ! :wink:
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

I've not even received the board yet but of course I already have a half baked opinion. So take with a pinch of salt!

I'm not so fussed about multi-sampling, there are a ton of synths hard and soft that major on that (although if its on the list far be it from me to get it taken off). Once you've got something like kyma, using sum of sines to move and morph samples its going to be hard for the solaris to compete, but if you're game John then I'm happy to benefit! Synthesis with sample and grain clouds, additive synthesis etc are interesting, particularly at 96k.

What would strike me as nice is a modulation summary page. Not to set up modulation. I think that the destination modulation concept is spot on, but in complex patches, particularly those created by the gifted it can be hard to work out exactly what's going on, and rather than searching through every option a summary on the main screen would be the dogs danglies, particularly if one could turn the modulation up and down.

OK. I'll pipe down again and wait patiently for my Solaris to arrive. May the day roll on!

Cheers

Mike
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Mike,

RE: modulation summary page - yes, I discussed this somewhere else on the forum, and we had thought about a number of ways to do things. The simplest way to implement is not a long list of all connections made (this would take maybe a bit of lag time to run through the list of the 90 or so mod paths), but to provide a method to check each source, using the Shift button. (so, you hold down LFO 1 Select and Shift, and the screen shows everywhere LFO 1 is assigned, and the Amount, destination, etc.). It’s not the same as the overall big list, as I said, but it would be a faster implementation.
Still - an Overview button was also discussed, where you select it in the soft key menu, and it just generates a scrollable list of things. Obviously, you only want to see those things which are active in the patch. The software would have to scan all modulation routings to look for any source not OFF and any Amount not 0, also checking for sidechain control. (Which brought up the question, do we list any sidechain modulation as a subset list, or all separately in the Big List?).

John B.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Subset would be my choice, as it would be a direct link from the choice one is currently viewing.
Just my Opinion.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Weston Underwood

I think I'd prefer subset.

The list might not be that long. Just because you have 90 mod paths doesn't mean you need to use them on 'every' patch!

:mrgreen:

I'm not even that fussed that they are editable on the main screen. Maybe clickable on the main scree to bring it up the mod on the relevant sub screen elsewhere on the synth. Although directly editable is of course best.

Mike
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Weston Underwood wrote:I've not even received the board yet but of course I already have a half baked opinion. So take with a pinch of salt!

I'm not so fussed about multi-sampling, there are a ton of synths hard and soft that major on that (although if its on the list far be it from me to get it taken off). Once you've got something like kyma, using sum of sines to move and morph samples its going to be hard for the solaris to compete, but if you're game John then I'm happy to benefit! Synthesis with sample and grain clouds, additive synthesis etc are interesting, particularly at 96k.

What would strike me as nice is a modulation summary page. Not to set up modulation. I think that the destination modulation concept is spot on, but in complex patches, particularly those created by the gifted it can be hard to work out exactly what's going on, and rather than searching through every option a summary on the main screen would be the dogs danglies, particularly if one could turn the modulation up and down.

OK. I'll pipe down again and wait patiently for my Solaris to arrive. May the day roll on!

Cheers

Mike
Well, since I own two KYMA systems, I think I may have some qualifications to comment. So here goes:
1) KYMA is an amazing system but I find myself being more of a code writing Smalltalk modules (which is what KYMA uses) than making music --- so it is great, but, you've got to roll your own
2) There are no libraries of good synths on KYMA --- the best out there is Harm Visser's physical modeling toolkit - not a synth but more programming modules
3) There is no market for KYMA except for folks like me that do love sound and work on various commercially rewarding projects that justify some unique "edge" to offer in sound design

My view is that with SOLARIS you get playability, the majority of the important sonic features, and, if you really want a KYMA system, add it or, for faster computers, get Max-6 or PD or JMAX and design instruments with that. I am at the age where I am more interested in playability, expression, articulation within the sound design / sound playing / instrument process than only with all the best modules, and modulars that money can buy. I do like my modular Modcan system and at 112 modules, I've got plenty.

SOLARIS is one of my few purchases this year --- I am actually selling off a bunch of gear to get rid of a rack and make space.

Cheers!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I actually miss the way on Analog synths I could could change a preset and the old sound wouldn;t change until the next keys were pressed.
Even just being able to hold/sustain a chord and change presets without audio drop outs.
For example even my ancient SE-1 allows me to scroll through presets while sounds/presets change and I can hold the note down w/o breaks in the audio path.

Just a wish.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,
I asked for this feature, and I think they were hoping to get it coded, but it didn’t get done. I think, when MultiMode gets done, this feature will also need to be in there.
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

updating of my wish list :

1 - Multi-sample

2 - more polyphony, dual engine with capacity of Split / Layer

2 - draft effect

3 - new filter: roland Jupiter 8/TB303 (18db), Yamaha CS80, filter 48db, 96db filter
( i have on my motu 896 mk3 the filter 48db is incredible )

4 - New Oscillator :

- Digital oscilateur like C64 SID with ""punch""
- In 24bit /96 hz Samples of oscillators "short looped" keys by keys for grain of
ROLAND, ARP, MOOG, OSCAR, OBERHEIM .......

5 - new effect reverb, compressor, gate ...

6 - Direct sampling 8bit, 12bit, 16bit, 24bit , 96hz to any 1hz by the converter
fast and working the ribbon looped sample, just touch key assignment or auto-detection

7 - streaming compactflash memomy or external usb SSD Drive for more memory

8 - Pre amplifier after the oscillator module like Kempler profiling

9 - core scope dsp usb for more

10 - editor PC / MAC iPad iPhone

:idea:
Weston Underwood

That should keep them busy for about a decade!

Oscillators and filters yes, more the merrier. Not so sure about extensive sampling, unless its going to go sum of sines / vsynth. Otherwise there's a million samplers out there already, including my emu synth 6400 ultra that's currently worth £60. Its just not worth the development time.

Still, each to their own!

Best wishes

Mike