Wish List For Next firmware update

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
darkshine75011

Wish List For Next firmware update

Post by darkshine75011 »

Hi John and all of you! (sorry it's tranlate by google French)

I am writing this letter of wishes for the New Year 201 :D 2

I do not yet have the Solaris, and I'm on the lookout for all new Audio Demos!
(multi-track Demo would be welcomed back with old covers 1980')

For the next firmware update, is this you might think some of my ideas?

the part sampler of the Solaris interests me lot and opens many doors to the creation and grain(texture)
my "sampler" and ""synthétizer"" favorite is the E-mu Emulator II (and III) hybrid digital/analog
with that modest 512kB memory and analog edition with the grain so legendary and especially no
Multi-sample or very little but a transposition (pitch) of sound that keeps it all muscalité!
I seem to hear it short this quality during your recent demonstration.

Here is the wish list:

- Multi sample mapping (for drum kit ("Solaris kit,tr-606-808-909", Linndrums, / acoustic..solina strings, CP70, ...)
and < old oscilator with analog texture ! >

<<---- especially beyond the limitation of 32mo memory sample ----->>

- For streaming over the 32MB internal memory of which could serve as cache memory
with the CompactFlash card or a USB Drive SSD 64/128/256/512 giga.....memory
and I think it would be the machine of the year ! ! ! ! 2011.2012.2013.2014.2015..... (electro + acoustic)
my Emulator II have 26 years old ...
i would like a old Elka Synthex : look this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abCRsx8ITk

- Sampling in 24/96 and old 8 bit/12 bit ( true ! by analog converter input )
Edition with ipad or pc

- Individually assignable by voice/key output for "mix" voice/key (analog) by summing analog
to the former to swell even more
(3 keys for exemple for 3 output assignable like Fairlight cmi )
I would have even the possibility of a real analog filter by voice output ..and more !

looks for the rest of the coast from Spectrasonics omniphere....korg kronos...
one day can be a machine will have hybrid digital/analog .. at John! (john Bowen / tom Oberheim) is an idea

a big fan .. and I hope soon you will be mine S.O.L.A.R.I.S

DARK-SHINE
darkshine75011

Re: Wish List For Next firmware update 2012

Post by darkshine75011 »

It would be a great revolution if you can play streaming SAMPLE with a hard disk type SSD External ! ! :?:
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

darkshine75011 wrote:It would be a great revolution if you can play streaming SAMPLE with a hard disk type SSD External ! ! :?:
Yes, I asked about doing this early on in the Solaris development. I don't know if this could be done with the current design.

John B.
3rdConstruction

Post by 3rdConstruction »

I might as well speak up here. I'm a preorder customer but haven't received my Solaris yet. I see Solaris as a modular polyphonic synthesizer, and while I think the ability to add user waveforms via samples is great, I, for one, do not want to see Solaris hijacked into being a rompler workstation. I think perhaps it would have been better to call the samples "user definable oscillators" or "user waveforms" or something similar to discourage people from thinking of Solaris as a sampler keyboard.
... speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
francois

Post by francois »

I don't understand this obsession with sampling on the Solaris. The current ability to use any WAV as an oscillator is enough for me. There are better tools out there to do sampling. So I'd rather John and SC concentrate on other features.
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

3rdConstruction wrote: I, for one, do not want to see Solaris hijacked into being a rompler workstation.

I agree completely- there are plenty of other synths, computer based samplers, etc. for sample playback; I am much more interested in the Solaris' capabilities as a synthesizer. Firmware updates should prioritize aspects already discussed previously- Multi-timbral function, enhanced allocation to increase polyphony, etc.
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

I agree that Solaris is evolving to become even more powerful
in terms of synthesis, more polyphony with same quality !
I would not be against having samplers in high quality 24/96 oscillator
vintage multi-sampler with their own identity (analog texture), from experience if the source
original texture and a grain analog over digital, all digital processing
have the identity ! ! ! !
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

Hi John,
A simple question, but important for all users
Or are you with the development of the new firmware ?
how long it will be ready ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

darkshine75011 wrote:Hi John,
A simple question, but important for all users
Or are you with the development of the new firmware ?
how long it will be ready ?
Ah, as soon as one mentions any possible OS updates, the talk starts! (Just look at the iOS path!)

There’s been no work on any new firmware yet - Sonic Core has been occupied with a huge job of rewriting Scope for their new ‘Open Scope’ platform. There will be some bug fixes coming up, but nothing major like is being discussed here.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

francois wrote:I don't understand this obsession with sampling on the Solaris. The current ability to use any WAV as an oscillator is enough for me. There are better tools out there to do sampling. So I'd rather John and SC concentrate on other features.
I completely agree....
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

So do I.
If you want multisampling multilayer interaction, buy a Korg Kronos, it's already covered by the market...
But if you want a good emulation of CS-80 VCOs/VCFs, well...
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

remember the solaris can use the audio inputs for modulators as well as sources, so if you want to effect samples or streaming audio, just play them in to the input from something designed to do that. you should be able to do anything you could if those things were built in.

I would just like to have to option to split up the 4 parts over different MIDI channels. with completely independent pitch bend etc.
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

If you want me to share my sound banks with re-sampling (sampler vintage and Analog)
for this mixture of texture, it would be rather nice if John can afford the multi-sample possibility
Sorry for the Kronos, according to the latest video of the sample-oscillator power transmission behind the competition .....
I think the power of omniphere for multi-sample possibility !
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, we did discuss a multisample object for the WAV Osc type - I will have to discuss again next time I’m back there (which is soon).
auricle

Post by auricle »

How about a granular synthesis oscillator? Also, how about an oscillator specific to FM, with such parameters as pitch settings as a ratio, an additional volume envelope hardwired to oscillator, oscillator feedback, etc.