New review of the SOLARIS

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Neotrope

New review of the SOLARIS

Post by Neotrope »

Hello all...
first of two reviews of the SOLARIS on our magazine site, this one by David K., who already has his unit (obviously), and there will be additional review by me once I get mine in the "pending" production batch for Feb. 2012.

SEE:
http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2012/0 ... 160823.php

Christopher S.
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
galaxiesmerge

:)

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Neotrope wrote:Hello all...
first of two reviews of the SOLARIS on our magazine site, this one by David K., who already has his unit (obviously), and there will be additional review by me once I get mine in the "pending" production batch for Feb. 2012.

SEE:
http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2012/0 ... 160823.php

Christopher S.
I will be posting a review also as I am in a similar batch :)

I have a number of friends and colleagues in the business looking at the SOLARIS ( and my background is at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0538290/ ) because they are also tired of Romplers and the latest and greatest disappointment was the Roland Jupiter 80. I took a break for a few years as I was in burnout mode but I am now back and I will get back in the game fairly fast ---- and I know that good tools like the SOLARIS can make the difference. I used to own two Fairlight systems back in the day and I was on their list but having looked at the prospects I have chosen to go with SOLARIS --- both systems are great but, when the Fairlight *first* came out, it incited inspiration and while I admire their effort at "re-creating" a past legend, I am more about the future. I mean, imagine if John create a new Prophet-T8 or something ---- it would be great for sure, but, how much better is it to have his wisdom for the future in a new instrument rather than in the past of what has already been done?

So, my review will be on this forum and on the web as well as some other more personal channels to my film sound and engineer/friends and colleagues since I am sure that the market will realize, from this site, how working professionals use the technology to get an edge versus, say, the starry-eyed newbie at the corner store listening to some brand rompler-like demos.

Of course, I stand to be corrected, but, I know that we are the folks that create the future sales because it is our word-of-mouth network that will make the difference to John Bowen's superb innovation and pioneering risk-taking.

Cheers!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
Neotrope

Re: New review of the SOLARIS

Post by Neotrope »

Hi, galaxiesmerge
yes... all of us who believed enough to pre-order are definitely a special bunch, and in a great position to help spread the word about the SOLARIS and get folks interested in the second production run at some point.

I feel a special kinship to this project, as I was the "first one in line" to buy the PRO ONE when it came out, also the Prophet 600, and the Drumtraks back in the day. Also possibly one of the first in the world to have the SCI-64 software/adapter for the Commodore 64 which turned the C64 into a MIDI sequencer to use with the Prophet 600 and DrumTraks (I'd trigger the Pro ONe from the bass drum output ...). My very first paid article as a professional journalist was doing the review of the SCI64 for Polyphony (back when sponsored by PAIA) prior to the sale to MIX and its transformation into Electronic Musician. So, I've been a realy long time fan of both Dave Smith and John B, and this is one of the few things that has me "oohing and aaahing" as I did back in the day of going to WestLA Music or Guitar Center and drooling over the Prophet 10, T-8 or Matrix 12 (now one one). I think JB has created an "instant classic" if you'll pardon the hyperbole, and while not entirely perfect, I think the "rev 1" will be a drool-worthy product for the young keyboard synth fans buying their first notebook and maybe their first analog synth, and dreaming of the "super synth" as we all did back in the day. :-)
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).