Will SOLARIS be updated to include full MINIMAX emulation?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
motionmindz

Will SOLARIS be updated to include full MINIMAX emulation?

Post by motionmindz »

It would be awesome if the Solaris could be booted into MINIMAX emulation mode, and further down also the Prodessey and Prophet emulations.
The MINIMAX is of the best MiniMoog emulations and with all the realtime controls it would be superb as a controller!

John, will this be implemented at some point in time ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Will SOLARIS be updated to include full MINIMAX emulatio

Post by John Bowen »

There has never been any discussion about this, since Solaris has the basic same building blocks - but I agree in that a fixed or dedicated emulation may have certain characteristics that a variable system does not, due to signal path or some other ‘voodoo’ in the code :-)

So, no plans - although I suppose I could ask Sonic Core if it would even be possible. What you would have to do is reboot with a different OS whenever you wanted to change the ‘emulation’, so it wouldn’t be a very convenient thing to do. Then they would have to connect specific knobs to the parameters, hopefully mapping them in a way that made sense, etc.

Sounds like a lot of work for questionable return on investment of time and money....
francois

Post by francois »

Let's concentrate on fixing things and adding to the Solaris. If you need a Minimax, there are plenty of cheap options out there, from used Noah to Klangbox and others to buying a 3DSP Luna and Minimax.

As it is, you can already start having fun with the Mini OSC.
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

And the ladder filter
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CheerZ
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I can easily get Moog sounds, and the feedback is easily emulated.
But VSTi's are so much better as you get a picture of a Moog so even if the sound isn't quite there, the pictures helps out in the Psychological department.... :D
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

HUROLURA wrote:Ans ladder filter
The ladder filter from the Minimax is already in the Solaris.
epoxy2600

Post by epoxy2600 »

I agree with JimmyV's comment that there is a "cool" psychological component to having emulations of classic synths actually being packaged and labeled intentionally as direct Minimoog, Prophet-5, Jupiter-8, etc. recreations, but it really is purely psychological. I think about all those cheap downloadable VST instruments that claim to emulate classics, but in reality the only thing they have in common is a gorgeous recreation of the vintage synth's front panel on your computer screen...and often the actual SOUNDS are millions of miles away from authentic. And yet...if you had the SOUND 100% dead accurately modeled, but had a GUI front panel that looked nothing like the original synth, some people might still be drawn to the sexy image instead!

On the Solaris the MINIMAX emulation is essentially in there, just not "hard-wired" up as such. So while I admit there is something cool about a dedicated Minimoog mode, or Prophet-5 mode, etc. , the truth is it is MUCH more enjoyable having the creative freedom to flow among/between all of those, using Mini VCOs with Prophet-5 VCFs, or Microwave tables with Oberheim VCFs, etc. One fun example is being able to switch from "Minimoog mode" to "Memorymoog mode" by swapping out those Mini VCOs for 3x CEM VCOs...takes all of 5 seconds to do and you've jumped from 1970 to 1982.

But again, I agree there is a coolness factor for having a "Minimoog mode"...but there's a somewhat higher coolness factor for having "the-most-amazingly-flexible-synthesizer-ever mode"...which is simply called "Solaris".

Howie
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

John Bowen wrote:
HUROLURA wrote:Ans ladder filter
The ladder filter from the Minimax is already in the Solaris.
That's what I meant but my message was sent from an iphone ... :D

Maybe grabbing yourself a used Minimax ASB and connecting it with the SOLARIS would be more convenient ...
CheerZ