Options and SPDIF

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Weston Underwood

Options and SPDIF

Post by Weston Underwood »

Hi

I've got an order in with Thomann for a Solaris and I'm obviously very excited. So I've two questions:

1. Are there any ordering options other than colour, is there some sort of mod wheel / bend wheel option?

2. Is the SPDIF just 44/48k or will it do 96k (which would I would have thought been better)

Cheers in advance

Mike
darkshine75011

Re: Options and SPDIF

Post by darkshine75011 »

Solaris comes with digital I/Os and since it's processing is at 96k, I see no reason not to use that as another advantage unfound in other synths.
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/solaris-aes-ebu
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

John if you hear me, I think the mod wheel have to be blue led in serial, because it goes beautifully with the other displays them as blue ! :idea:
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Weston Underwood wrote:Hi

I've got an order in with Thomann for a Solaris and I'm obviously very excited. So I've two questions:

1. Are there any ordering options other than colour, is there some sort of mod wheel / bend wheel option?

2. Is the SPDIF just 44/48k or will it do 96k (which would I would have thought been better)

Cheers in advance

Mike
Hello Mike,

Short answers :-)

1) the first 50 pre-customers, long ago, had the lighted wheel options, for which I did the work personally of constructing (the LED wheel kit was about $125 extra). However, I’m no longer doing these by hand, so there is no ‘official’ option. You can, though, order the kit from synthwood.com, and install yourself.
Recently, one of my French customers did this, and I think he was going to write up a description of how it went, which I will post somewhere here.

2) The S/PDIF chip in the Solaris is set at 48 kHz output, and there was no easy way to change it internally, so if you use the Solaris as the Master in your digital system, all runs at 48 kHz. However, if the Solaris runs as a Slave to another Master clock, you can make it run at 96 kHz.

john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

In all honesty the difference between 48k and 96k isn't nearly as noticable as 44.1k Analog to 48k SP/DIF to the ODL-312 converter, to the AES/EBU I/Os of the XITE-1.

Also very cool is the way I can use a Bank where the Analog Outputs are used.
In case my DAW crashes, I have Solaris and the Casio Privia set up and routed to the powered monitors bypassing the DAW and the XITE-1. No more need for a redindant spare, but with Scope products, no crashes after a decade of use.

However, Chance favors the prepared mind...
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole