We need more Solaris videos!

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
motorhead9999

We need more Solaris videos!

Post by motorhead9999 »

So the samples that people have posted have been great, but i'd love to see some more actual videos of people playing the Solaris up on youtube (or similar). Its one thing to hear audio files that people have recorded, or John giving the inventor overview of the keyboard, but its a complete different thing to have someone playing or showing off the presets with video. There's not much of that out there (and I understand why), so you lucky folks who do have one, start filming!
scope4live

Re: We need more Solaris videos!

Post by scope4live »

I'll get my drummers Roadie(girlfriend)to film during break, reason being, as long as her God (boyfriend) is performing she is fixated.
The only thing I do is use Sustain Ribbon, and realtime Ribbon, so I can add the joystick, ribbon pedalling maybe so you can not only hear but see the changes.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I have some video of JimmyV (scope4live) playing the Solaris at NAMM, but I would need his permission to post them.
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

I will do some for a show I am working on once I get mine :)
I am in line.... just waiting along with everyone else.
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

I did couple of videos for the SOLARIS before it shipped to its new owner and they're on YouTube; but unfortunately the trolls shat all over it on YouTube so I had to turn commenting off and now I don't care if I did any more or not. Love the people who never do anything themseleves but stomp all over what others do. Sigh. Stupid interwebs ;-)

SOLARIS is one awesome freakin' keyboard, in case I didn't mention it lately ....
I sold mine to help pay for new house, but I'll "be baaaaack...."
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
BillySynth

Post by BillySynth »

Hi all,

I've been trying to track down NAMM 2013 Solaris videos. Anybody seen any Solaris NAMM 2013 vids. How secretive is this Solaris synth lol. You cant find anything on it man. That Prophet 12 looks mighty mean with 4 VCOs.

Billy
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

BillySynth wrote:That Prophet 12 looks mighty mean with 4 VCOs.
Get your facts right.
The Prophet 12 has 4 DIGITAL oscilators and a sub per voice.
Not DCO's. Digital oscilators. It has been discussed to death the last couple of days...
The filter section is analog, though. As are the vca's and the distortion.
Rest of the fx are fully digital.
So what we have here is a hybrid.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Yep! Prophet 12 has a half-dozen SHARC chips (similar to Solaris) which create the digital oscillators as well as the effects. The signal is converted to analog and goes thru the Curtiss chips.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I really love the design and hope DS does well.
Bowen, Buchla, Oberheim and Smith are the real deal as far as developers go, and their success means we won't be subjected to inferior Windows and Apple synths.
Yes some Native stuff that does what Solaris and other hardware doesn't do is a bonus, as long as it's digital stuff, not analog emulations.

And Interweb weasals are sad bozos indeed. Too bad we don't have virtaul face slaps for these cowardly beothches who in the real world would dragged to the streets while being flogged.
It's these same whiny snivellers that bleed all over developers for prices, etc.
We end up getting 76 note keybeds that should be 88, and then half baked controllers of plastic w/o PBend and MWheels because these weasals whine all over the forum about having to bend over to pick up a dime.

It would be sweet to be able to have my foot reach out of the LCD and heel kick them in the face as they as they cry about prices, etc.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

scope4live wrote:I really love the design and hope DS does well.
Bowen, Buchla, Oberheim and Smith are the real deal as far as developers go, and their success means we won't be subjected to inferior Windows and Apple synths.
Yes some Native stuff that does what Solaris and other hardware doesn't do is a bonus, as long as it's digital stuff, not analog emulations.

And Interweb weasals are sad bozos indeed. Too bad we don't have virtaul face slaps for these cowardly beothches who in the real world would dragged to the streets while being flogged.
It's these same whiny snivellers that bleed all over developers for prices, etc.
We end up getting 76 note keybeds that should be 88, and then half baked controllers of plastic w/o PBend and MWheels because these weasals whine all over the forum about having to bend over to pick up a dime.

It would be sweet to be able to have my foot reach out of the LCD and heel kick them in the face as they as they cry about prices, etc.
Wow. That's angree :mrgreen:
Anyway, concerning the Prophet 12 - i think the comparison to the Solaris is a valid one, since both use 6 sharc dsp chips for proccessing, and the oscilators on the P12 are virtual ones going thru analog filters.
From the little i've heard (and from my former experience with the Polyevolver and P08 rack, both which i sold) - the Solaris with its digital filters sounds bigger and fatter than the P12 curtis exhausted lowpass filter.
Other than that - it's quite obvious that on the digital side, the Solaris wins.
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

Some new Solaris videos would be nice, if only to remind potential buyers that it does kinda actually exist. I can see the Prophet 12 taking a lot of business from JB with its lower price tag, analogue circuitry, and knob-per-function interface. I personally like the curtis filters very much and found it was the lack of weight and flexibility in the oscillators that sometimes let down other DSI instruments; so I'm really looking forward to hearing this new one in person. And given Dave Smith's track record for getting instruments into production, chances are that will happen before I receive the Solaris I pre-ordered in 2009, which is pretty sad.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I thought the Prophet 12 had a very similar sound quality to the Prophet 08, FWIW. I also thought the Solaris had more sonic "weight" to its tone quality. Their booths were adjacent, making a direct comparison possible.
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

lotus-eater wrote:Some new Solaris videos would be nice, if only to remind potential buyers that it does kinda actually exist. I can see the Prophet 12 taking a lot of business from JB with its lower price tag, analogue circuitry, and knob-per-function interface. I personally like the curtis filters very much and found it was the lack of weight and flexibility in the oscillators that sometimes let down other DSI instruments; so I'm really looking forward to hearing this new one in person. And given Dave Smith's track record for getting instruments into production, chances are that will happen before I receive the Solaris I pre-ordered in 2009, which is pretty sad.
Me too , Ordered in 2009 ...It's very very long ...
I think i will cancel my order If i don't have my solaris in 2 month ...It's enough now :cry: :twisted:
"switched on bach"
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

tinhu wrote:
lotus-eater wrote:Some new Solaris videos would be nice, if only to remind potential buyers that it does kinda actually exist. I can see the Prophet 12 taking a lot of business from JB with its lower price tag, analogue circuitry, and knob-per-function interface. I personally like the curtis filters very much and found it was the lack of weight and flexibility in the oscillators that sometimes let down other DSI instruments; so I'm really looking forward to hearing this new one in person. And given Dave Smith's track record for getting instruments into production, chances are that will happen before I receive the Solaris I pre-ordered in 2009, which is pretty sad.
Me too , Ordered in 2009 ...It's very very long ...
I think i will cancel my order If i don't have my solaris in 2 month ...It's enough now :cry: :twisted:
I told myself the same thing two months ago - lol. At that time, though, there was little to no information on what DSI's next release would be, and I didn't see any legitimate alternatives to Solaris. Now that there is one coming out soon, and it appears to be designed specifically for the types of sounds I had hoped to coax out of the Solaris, there is less reason than ever to keep subjecting myself to this unbearable wait.

The decision to keep or cancel my order may just come down to whichever company can get a finished synth out the door first. That said, even if I were to find a Solaris on my doorstep tomorrow, it would have to completely obliterate my wildest expectations in order to erase the bitter taste of this whole experience.
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

I do however feel a bit sorry for John. I don't suppose he wanted to be in this position either. Of course I've no idea of the behind the scenes goings on but the average synth designer would have wanted to have had all 220 out the door, cash in the bank and be in the happy position of deciding what changes to pay for in the software and how many more runs to do. As it is he's got a bunch of fed up customers (rightfully), probably fed up distributors and a competitor producing a sort of similar synth at less money.

A whole boatload of cancelled orders would not be his next dream scenario!

So to ensure that the rest of us get to decide whether it really is any good, without having to pay 8x more for one of the handful in circulation via ebay (if he stops making them), I'd be grateful if you left you order in place! :lol: