Solaris White -(sold)

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Neotrope

Solaris White -(sold)

Post by Neotrope »

[*UPDATED*]

Hi, folks: sold to Michael in NY. Thanks for adopting my Solaris! Wish I had the space, the time, and the brain cells to learn something new, sadly no. I will say the sound is truly amazing ... you can tell 96k when you hear it. Much more pure sound than the Virus Ti, and can totally nail the Oberheim sound, or Prophet stuff. :-)

[*UPDATED*]
Hey folks .. mr wishy washy here...
now that I have my studio rearranged with new furniture, new stand, rack, etc., have officially decided what to keep and what to sell, and will be selling off 90% of the stuff I have bought during my collecting frenzy that started circa 2006.

Sadly, since I have no time to learn something entirely new to me, I'm selling the brand new SOLARIS ...
* all packing; shipping box, printed manual, PSU, white box for manual and PSU box;
* lighted wheel kit option (parts with instructions from JB, not installed)
* brand new white "signature edition" - less than one hour of use, only turned on four times now; plastic still on displays

I am looking for $3800 to clear the investment and time, which is saving of $200 over a brand new one with up to year wait (realistically); and will pay for shipping within contintental US. For overseas shipping YOU would have to make any arrangements to pick up from me under your waybill. shipper and insurance.

It will go on eBay soonish if no takers, probably this coming Sunday.

For those whos aske, I will also be putting up the SunSyn for $4700 (rev 1x, zero probs; upgradeable to 2x OS; or even Synsyn 2 "case" per Jurgen while he still has parts).

Other stuff, like Matrix 12, twin Matrix 1000s, FIzmo, Andromeda A6, Poly Evolver KB+rack, Kawai K5000s with memory bank upgrade; etc., will go up next month (mid August). I won't post links to any of this as it's NOT related to this form (only mention here due to the private messages). :-)

Thanks for looking. The SOLARIS is an awesome synth, but I've now become one of those guys who buys 10 cars, only drives 2, and loves to admire the others but no longer has a garage space to keep them.

[orig post]

Hi, folks
in my decision to put home buying above music, and gear for the near future, I've reluctantly decided to sell almost all of my gear this year, get a home while the getting is good, then rebuy gear down the road. So, before I actually use this and get irrevocably attached, it has to go on the auction block with the rest.

To this end, I'm selling my brand new SOLARIS in white, wood end caps, original box, power supply, manual. It was supposed to have the color/lighted wheels, but between JB and the factory "they forgot," and John is sending me the parts which would go to the new owner (fyi, according to JB to add the color wheels kit, one would need to have a tech "take out the wheel box, drill the holes, affix the LED circuit board to the wheel box, solder the 2 wires to the side of the potentiometer for power supply, select the wheel colors, and then re-install").

Works perfectly, only turned on twice. Have not had the time to touch it more than that and listen to some of the quite amazing patches and sound quality. Makes the Matrix 12 (selling that, too) sound like P.O.S. by comparison (!). Plastic is still on all the displays.

***UPDATE -
BACK UP FOR SALE AS of 6.25.12 ... first $4K takes it. Only turned on 5x. No time to learn. NO room in studio. Selling bunch of gear including Jomox SunSyn.

I am asking $4K; prefer local pickup L.A., but will ship within U.S. if I must. No international shipping, sorry.

I will "try" to shoot a little video of it if my stupid Sony "bloggie" will recharge. It does better vid than the iPhone, frankly.
Anyway... make me an offer. I'm not "desperate" to sell, so don't make me any stupid offer like $2K and a box of chocolates, thanks :-)
Last edited by Neotrope on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
scope4live

Re: FS: Solaris White - brand new

Post by scope4live »

Where is the other gear listed, I am in the market.
But home buying right now is cheap, can't blame you.
Take my advice and never pay it off, HUGE mistake....

pm me
if you're serious still.
Last edited by scope4live on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

Hi, Jimmy
I'll be posting a "for sale" list on my website, and will email you link once it's ready (end of the month probably). Actually trying to sell my mixer + Omnirax console on ebay first to "make room" in here. I need to inventory stuff, for the minute as I tend to have manuals, addon cards, extra downloads from sites, OS updates, dust covers, often original boxes or replacement budget ATA case for storage, etc. ... so need to track all that stuff down. Some stuff in garage, some in closet, some in filing cabinet, et al. More later ... ! Don't want to "pollute" the forum with my sale items, so that won't happen, just getting ball rolling ... :-)

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Thanks Chief.
Definately interested in hardware. VSTs come and go, but hardware never dies, plus it doesn't need Windows M$ to function.

CiaoMein
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

Second thoughts ... after speaking with JB by email, I think I'm keeping my SOLARIS. :-)

Movement

Post by Movement »

Neotrope wrote:Second thoughts ... after speaking with JB by email, I think I'm keeping my SOLARIS. :-)
Tease! :P
plug

Post by plug »

Very good decision !
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

Yeah. Frustrating. Need to sell $30K worth of gear, don't WANT to sell ANYthing (well, maybe the Roland Xv5050...) ... don't need to sell for financial reasons except possibility of buying new home. So.... tough wishy washy, day to day mindset. One day I'm "sell it all, get house, buy back later..." then the next day I'm a little kid where somebody is taking my toy train set away.... "waaaaah!"

To quote Steve Martin, "I'm sooooooooo confuuuuused."

Neotrope

Re: FS: Solaris White - brand new (FS AGAIN)

Post by Neotrope »

Hi everybody...
have decided to sell the Solaris 100% for sure. I just don't have room in my studio, and have NO time to learn another piece of kit and I simply have way too much gear here. Must downsize. Back to house hunting.

First $4K takes it. Free Fedex continental US. Local pickup okay, too.

White model; wood ends; lighted wheel kit (not installed); original manual, power supply; original box and packing. Plastic never taken off the displays. Only turned on five times, works 100%.

FOR SALE ... looking for somebody to adopt the JB Solaris!
Will also be selling my Jomox Sunsyn; OB Matrix 12; Nord Lead 3; and Waldorf Q+ Red keyboard (not Phoenix); and Waldorf Q rack (yellow).

Give me a ping if you'd like to buy/adopt the SOLARIS
(No phone calls please; I work under deadline every day, so rarely have daylight chat time.)

Neotrope

Re: Solaris White -(sold)

Post by Neotrope »

[*UPDATED*]

Hi, folks: sold to Michael in NY this week (7/12-13/2012)

Thanks for adopting my Solaris! Wish I had the space, the time, and the brain cells to learn something new, sadly no. I will say the sound is truly amazing ... you can tell 96k when you hear it. Much more pure sound than the Virus Ti, and can totally nail the Oberheim sound, or Prophet stuff. :-)

I am going to "try" to shoot a quick video for YouTube of the sound, and also for insurance purposes pre-shipment, and will "try" to get that done and on YouTube for y'all. Need to figure out how to shoot a video with this new Nikon DSLR i got... so, more stuff to learn (yay). :-)