Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
darkshine75011

Sample transposition

Post by darkshine75011 »

Hello, john
for the transposition of samples(tuning) on Solaris
What method do you use ?

synchronous or asynchronous ?
Last edited by darkshine75011 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkshine75011

Re: Sample transposition

Post by darkshine75011 »

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... 858.0.html

asynchronus clocking = use a variable sample rate system, sometimes known as asynchronus clocking, in which each voice had it's own sample clock and the pitch of the sample was transposed by varying the sample playback rate. This gives an effect like a tape being varisped and all of the harmnics and waveform distortions are transposed in exactly the same way as the notes.

synchronous = Almost every popular sampler which followed the fairlight used a synchronous playback system, in which the pitch of the sample is transposed by skipping sample words or repeating words and / or some algorhythm of multiplying and interpolating. This system can generate inharmonic byproducts which vary with the amount of transposition. The net result is a kind of abrasive "digital" timbre. The efforts to improve these systems have resulted in some very nice sounding synchronus sample playback 'engines' and the technology is the basis of SRC technology (sample rate convertor).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I will have to ask...
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

darkshine75011 wrote:asynchronus clocking = use a variable sample rate system, sometimes known as asynchronus clocking, in which each voice had it's own sample clock and the pitch of the sample was transposed by varying the sample playback rate.
On a polyphonic system, asynchronous clocking requires a separate DAC per voice. Mixing/summing is then done after the conversion in the analog domain.
Hardware-wise, this is of course a very expensive way of implementing a sample playback engine. However in the early days of sampling that was the only way to do it, simply because high-quality realtime interpolation wasn't feasible.
That's why e.g. the Synclavier had separate voices, each with their own DAC.

This is not how the Solaris works. In fact, I don't believe any modern system works that way anymore.
Last edited by Christopher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I have some very intelligent owners! Thanks Christopher!!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

And here's the official answer: "The Solaris uses a synchronous method for the transposition of samples.

An example for a variable sample rate system is the EMU Emulator II where the hardware uses different sample rates for the different sampling voices.

Just because it is interesting in this context: Although the Solaris hardware uses constant sample rate processing (which is indeed the modern way), there are some oscillators which actually 'remap' to variable sample rates (the SHARC DSPs allow to do that in a most efficient way).
This is useful to give the wavetables (PPG and Prophet VS waves) some edge - so they keep the rough and more vintage sound you would get from the original."
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

And here is the ancient sample from the Emulator II I used over and over in Oberheim DPXs, and latter the Roland S760.
They actually sound better in Solaris....

http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/solaris- ... arp-string
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Nice, M$ now has bribed soundcloud to use their latest spyware/free stuff.
Sorry about the upgrade jive, I just noticed it.
I shall try to find a work around to avoid these gangsters... :x

darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

Thank you for this information .... very INTERESTED complement
beautiful sound: it's like my Emulator II solarized 8)
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

scope4live wrote:And here is the ancient sample from the Emulator II I used over and over in Oberheim DPXs, and latter the Roland S760.
They actually sound better in Solaris....

http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/solaris- ... arp-string
Jimmy,- your sound demos kill !
I never had the idea Solaris plays EII /DPX-1 samples.

best

Hein
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Thanks Chief..
I use this beast live 6 nights a week, and would rather carry the gear than to compromise my sound for the sake of portability.
But speaking of portability, below is my new rig which is 75% smaller and worth lugging around.

FWIW Solaris is using the Toslink to AES/EBU I/O's which are on the XITE-1, which is the a 1U rack using the same DSP Technology Solaris uses. It's really powerful live and stands right alongside of my 3 Oscillator SE-1X Monobeast.

If Windows synths sounded this good I would buy them, but live the Native synths sound muffled and lack the Balls I am use to. On headphones with FX and MP3's I am sure they can sound good, but live those Dogs Won't Hunt. Solaris and a powerful partner like the 3U SE-1X are all I need.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us