REVIEW: Experience with the SOLARIS SYNTH

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
galaxiesmerge

REVIEW: Experience with the SOLARIS SYNTH

Post by galaxiesmerge »

This is a post about my user experiences.

Now that I have had the time to re-adjust my workflow (which is normal for any new synth), and getting used to intuitively looking to the LCD that has the parameters I need to work on, I am really finding this to be a real-time, performance friendly synth.

The first couple of weeks were a bit awkward mainly because I had my monitor with John's VIMEO videos playing and explaining while I was following. Then I began on my own sound variations and started to work on the mixers with the filters and rotors. The learning curve has been very, very gentle and I cannot complain about anything about the design of the workflow.

Here are some of the key points:

1) Getting the layout memorized is key - I find myself playing and reaching for a control and in the worst case situation, I am two clicks away from what I need. I really like this because the ability to close me eyes and deliberately reach out and tweak something by deliberate "accident" is a nice way to get new sounds. A "randomize" global parameter control would be nice to do this too. But I very much enjoy just reaching out and touching something.

2) The best output chain, for my own ears, is to pass the SOLARIS through some good old analog TUBE CIRCUITS --- it rocks!!! I am using the CHARISMA rackmount and then I am using a BRICASTI reverb. The SOLARIS sounds spectacular --- in fact, I am ashamed to admit this, and I admit this that the SOLARIS will replace your precious analogs. I am now hanging on to my analogs because (a) I have them (b) they work and (c) I will leave them to my son --- but, for real work, I find that I am using the SOLARIS more and more.

3) I have ceased to use some of my VST instruments (No, I will not name which ones but they are well known popular brands for so called great analog emulation) --- comparing the sounds is useless because the SOLARIS 96Kz audio path leaves them in the dust. You *really* can hear the difference in the sound quality when you play some VST against the SOLARIS.

4) Sound Designing with the SOLARIS takes a bit of time mainly becuase the instrument is so deep so I cannot possibly do it quickly. This is not a bad thing at all - in fact, I like being able to get into a sound on this instrument since it is very musically laid out. One thing I found is that if you pass the SOLARIS through a large polyphonic Modular Synth, the combination of the SOLARIS Waldorf or VS waves and analog is *******KIIILLLLLERRR!!!!!*****KILLER!!!***

What I mean is that my entire house shook!!! The bass and the warmth, as well as that special creamy, smooth, silky sound that only a fine instrument through fine gear produces is really absolutely amazing. I do not have the words to express this but you will hear it in my upcoming demos.

5) SOLARIS as an all-in-one keyboard really shines: I have hardly touched many of my other synths - the SOLARIS is addictive. It's like when you get this instrument, you're on crack ... your glued to it for hours. Its got it all. I've made screaming sounds, silky sounds, grungy sounds, thwacky sounds, beat sounds, organic sounds and all kinds of electronic sounds: this is a superb quality musicians and composers tool.

Well, that's my update for now. I hope this helps.

Just an FYI - I did a MIDI split control with one SOLARIS playing the lower register and the other on a sound playing the upper and I can tell you, the first feature I would love to see is the multi-mode ... it was just dynamite having TWO SOLARIS here to try that out with. I am seriously tempted to get another one ... except ... wait. .... where will I put it???? I have no room left here in my home!

Cheers :)
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
Toby Emerson

Re: REVIEW: Experience with the SOLARIS SYNTH

Post by Toby Emerson »

thanks for posting your thoughts - looking forward to your videos!
marzzz

Re: REVIEW: Experience with the SOLARIS SYNTH

Post by marzzz »

I definitely agree we need reverb, I would like to hold off using an outboard unit if I can. Interesting about the Charisma, my primary trick for getting soft synths to sound half-decent is to run them thru PSP VintageWarmer- I couldn't live without it. The Solaris by itself still absolutely blows them away, I pretty much use Zebra just for added background polyphony on occasion. The U-He DIVA does do a pretty good Minimoog D, though...