Internal PS

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
dawman

Internal PS

Post by dawman »

Is it possible to take Solaris somewhere and have a custom internal power supply modded?
I think I can get one done in Nashville but first want to know if it's a good idea or not.

No complaints from about the current PSU, although I might get a spare, but it seems I am back to crappy stages for a while, and the bouncing is starting to make me nervous.
Lots of action on the stage these days.
koenig

Re: Internal PS

Post by koenig »

A last resort could be to zip tie the PSU to the leg of the stand. Not ideal but it keeps the thing steady. Just a though - still interested in hearing what you find out, though.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have used Gorilla Duct Tape to keep the Walwarts taped to the Standtastic 102 legs, and even considering using my old heavy ass Oberheim MC3000 as my Casio XP-3S is having problems too.
First gig I ever did where people jump from the drum riser or come around my area flinging their hair and instruments. Great band or I would have bailed, but these walwarts are real touchy and a reboot the other night while playing has me very nervous.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

dawman wrote:Is it possible to take Solaris somewhere and have a custom internal power supply modded?
I think I can get one done in Nashville but first want to know if it's a good idea or not.
A couple of things...since we originally had this in mind to put them inside (like Virus does):

1) of course, you need a hole punch for the rear bottom panel to allow for the plug access. It's possible you could find a small metal plate that would mount securely to the back to make it a nice, snug fit for the cable.

2) This then requires that you mount the supply butted up against the plate/hole, so you can use the current power cable to connect it.

3) You will need some sort of bracket mounted from below (so drill a few more holes) to secure the power supply itself inside. There should be enough space - you just have to make sure you are clear of the mod wheels and ribbon board.

If I were you, and you really wanted to do such a mod, Personally I would go get a 12v 3.0 Amp supply that has the IEC3 connector on it, like I had originally planned.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks JB, but it appears that won't be necessary.
I rarely have time to unpack the rig and just practice on Solaris but wanted to rearrange some presets for faster performance issues and discovered that having 2 x PSU (walwarts) attached to the metal leg stand was causing shielding issues, which in turn make these walwarts very touchy.
I took the synth into the Man Cave and set it up and noticed I could twist and wiggle the Mini Plug without any blinking of the screens causing a reboot.
Further testing of some 1/2" split foam tubing to shield the walwarts from the metal legs solved the entire issue.
I use various tube lengths and diameter sized split foam tubing from Lowe's for my 1/4" pedal extensions for the MIDI Solutions F8 and my custom pedal board used for note on/off articulations of samplers (this way I use all keys and both hands live) so I tried the smaller tubing scraps and it fixed everything.
Maybe this is good to know as the walwarts we have on our gear these days are fine for power, but the little warts themselves are not shielded very well.

Ankyu,
Meanwhile back at the ranch......................