LFO Modulation Question

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
jgale

LFO Modulation Question

Post by jgale »

Hi all - I have a question for the forum as I await the arrival of my Solaris.

For the LFO’s - can I have one rate and level for note/voice #1, and another rate and level for note/voice #2, etc.? I have a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch and would like to be able modulate the LFO rate/level individually per note via poly aftertouch.

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: LFO Modulation Question

Post by John Bowen »

jgale wrote:Hi all - I have a question for the forum as I await the arrival of my Solaris.

For the LFO’s - can I have one rate and level for note/voice #1, and another rate and level for note/voice #2, etc.? I have a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch and would like to be able modulate the LFO rate/level individually per note via poly aftertouch.

John
PolyAT is one of the many sources available in the modulation Source list for the LFO rates and levels. I do not have a poly aftertouch board to test this with, but I’m sure it will work. Perhaps we can ask Marshall to test it and confirm, since I know he has a poly AT keyboard....

JB
jgale

Post by jgale »

Thanks for the response John. If someone reading this post could check this for me - it would be greatly appreciated!

My question is really centered around a broader topic. If you modulate lfo rate/level by something that is unique to that note/voice (poly AT, Velocity, Note Number, Envelope, etc.) does it affect the rate/level for that note/voice individually or all notes/voices globally?

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Using PolyAT as the mod source will only affect the one voice individually...that's the meaning of polyphonic aftertouch.
jgale

Post by jgale »

John Bowen wrote:Using PolyAT as the mod source will only affect the one voice individually...that's the meaning of polyphonic aftertouch.
Agreed - but for example on my ME-80 VST, Poly AT affects the LFO Depth individually for each note but the LFO Rate is changed globally for all notes. Probably an emulation of the original CS-80 functionality - I'm not sure. It makes sense though, as multiple voices could be modulated with different LFO Levels using one LFO, but different LFO Rates per note would mean an individual LFO per voice. Very expensive to do in analogue circuitry...

I was trying to understand how this was implemented on the Solaris.

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Each voice is independently calculated, so there should be no problem changing the rate or level on a per voice basis.
jgale

Post by jgale »

Excellent! I've been reading the manual front to back and cooking up ideas that I want to try out. Can't wait until my unit arrives...

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

So, I managed to borrow a CME xKey today (which has PolyAT), and was able to confirm that PolyAT does indeed control LFO rates and levels independently for each voice you play!
jgale

Post by jgale »

Thanks for confirming this John. I was lucky enough to pick up a used MidiBoard a few years ago in excellent condition. Playing with PolyAT is soooooooooo expressive and fun to play!