Made nervous by MIDI problems I've read about

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
jimjacobsen

Made nervous by MIDI problems I've read about

Post by jimjacobsen »

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Solaris purchase but have been made nervous by discussions on this forum of MIDI problems, namely, sync and stuck notes. Have these issues been addressed? I must have synths that work with my DAW, it's how I make music (and my living) and I need to be able to stay within my workflow. SO the question is, does Solaris work well within a DAW/MIDI environment? If not, I'll have to back off from buying one, which would be a real shame since I think they sound phenomenal.
Jim Jacobsen
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Made nervous by MIDI problems I've read about

Post by John Bowen »

Jim,

Thanks for your interest! I can tell you that these issues are being addressed, but at the moment I can’t say when the updated OS will be released. Please stay tuned, as we are making progress...

John Bowen
jimjacobsen

Post by jimjacobsen »

Thanks, John. Is the midi sync issue confined to syncing the sequencer and/or arpeggiator to DAW? I. E., drift over time?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

jimjacobsen wrote:Thanks, John. Is the midi sync issue confined to syncing the sequencer and/or arpeggiator to DAW? I. E., drift over time?
Correct. I think the clock is reading 25 instead of 24 PPQN, so it’s a very slow drift.
jimjacobsen

Post by jimjacobsen »

So I'm having trouble making ip my mind. Am I ag risk of missing the cutoff for the 5-6 run of synths? How many slots are still available?
synthologist

Post by synthologist »

Has this sync issue been fixed with an update? Looking at a 2ndhand Solaris..
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

No fixes yet, but soon.
mrdan

Post by mrdan »

Forget about the problems.

It's a jaw dropping synth. It actually sounds better (ok that's subjective) than many current analogs. Buy it and enter the world of endless lost hours experiencing sonic pleasure from it's infinitely tweakable universe.
jgale

Post by jgale »

I find Midi sync to be rock solid with the latest release. Working with Cuabse, I've stress tested with multiple BPMs and drastic tempo changes and the Solaris held tight to the beat. There is also a convenient new "Auto" sync function that automatically senses external sync or uses the internal BPM if no external sync is found.

John