Max number of simultaneously notes parameter

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
cedric

Max number of simultaneously notes parameter

Post by cedric »

Hi,

When I press on many notes of the Solaris, I've noticed that I can play only 4 notes simultaneously.
Could you give me please the parameter to set the nb max of notes ?
(I thought it was in the System menu but did not found it)

Thanks
Regards
jgale

Re: Max number of simultaneously notes parameter

Post by jgale »

If you are in Unison mode - you can set the number of voices played when pressing a key. It is the UniVoice parameter after you press the Home button.

If you are not in Unison mode, you should be able to play all 10 notes. If not - it could be a Midi loop problem. You can test this by disconnecting your midi cables.

John
cedric

Post by cedric »

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will test it.
Yes actually, I've tested sounds with Midi connexions plugged...
So I will tell you.

Regards
cedric

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Thanks again it was indeed a midi loop problem, disconnecting the MIDI jack has fixed the issue.

I've noticed that when I start the Solaris, if the midi jack is plugged, the Solaris Boots and then nothing happend... I have to disconnect the jack before to start the Solaris.
Is there a midi parameter I have to set to have the ability to keep the jack always plugged ?

Regards
jgale

Post by jgale »

The Solaris does not like a Midi loop when booting - it will cause it to hang at the Warldorf screen. If you can, try to eliminate the looping issue and you should be fine. I believe that John has this on the bug list.

Tip - if you find the Solaris does not boot even after removing the Midi loop - you may need to completely reset the unit by removing the power cord.

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, now this is not something I’ve listed....that the freeze at the Waldorf screen had something to do with MIDI cables being connected! Is this a consistent behavior in your experience, jgale?

For the record, yes, a freeze during boot up at the Waldorf screen is a common experience, and does no harm to the synth - it’s just a order of operations messaging that sometimes gets lost. In the beta OS testings I’ve been doing, this happens much less now. If it happens, just reboot! (You shouldn’t have to wait more than 2 seconds after you see the Waldorf screen for it to be in normal operation mode.)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

cedric wrote:Hi,

Thanks again it was indeed a midi loop problem, disconnecting the MIDI jack has fixed the issue.

I've noticed that when I start the Solaris, if the midi jack is plugged, the Solaris Boots and then nothing happend... I have to disconnect the jack before to start the Solaris.
Is there a midi parameter I have to set to have the ability to keep the jack always plugged ?

Regards
Please try this - go to your MIDI settings, and Turn MIDICtrl Off, then save the system Global Init file (go to System page, turn upper right knob so that the Save parameter changes to Active, then press Enter).
After that, reboot the synth and see if you get this MIDI loop problem.
jgale

Post by jgale »

John Bowen wrote:Hmmm, now this is not something I’ve listed....that the freeze at the Waldorf screen had something to do with MIDI cables being connected! Is this a consistent behavior in your experience, jgale?

For the record, yes, a freeze during boot up at the Waldorf screen is a common experience, and does no harm to the synth - it’s just a order of operations messaging that sometimes gets lost. In the beta OS testings I’ve been doing, this happens much less now. If it happens, just reboot! (You shouldn’t have to wait more than 2 seconds after you see the Waldorf screen for it to be in normal operation mode.)
John - I haven't tested this extensively, but my Solaris seems to hang about a third of the times when the it receives Midi data during the boot process. To get around this, I just boot my Solaris first and then my other midi keyboards. This appears to correct the issue.

John