Obie state variable filter - continuous change of mode.

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
normanion

Obie state variable filter - continuous change of mode.

Post by normanion »

Hi All,

As I don't have my unit yet, can anyone tell me if it's possible to change Obie state variable mode fluently from one mode to another without abrupt change? I am thinking of changes similar to those seen in OB-6, when turning mode knob, either by hand, from external controller or by modulating source. I might be missing something in manual (as I am male, and males attribute is not seeing things in front of their eyes :wink:) and couldn't find answer to this question at this forum nor in youtube demos.

If above is true, which point of slope cutoff point is pointing at? I was always thinking that cutoff is showing top of slope, but in case of above behaviour it would be impossible to do notch. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Best Regards,
Norman

P.S. I imagine similar results could be done with mixing of different routes and filter types, but am not sure if progression could be done this way, as it should introduce second one for half of modulation, then sustain new one and turn off first for second part of modulation. OR! It might be, that my imagination is not enough, to see some possibilities.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Obie state variable filter - continuous change of mode.

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Norman,

The quick answer is no, the Solaris doesn't do that. Each mode is a selection from a list, and there's no modulation of the filter type - they just switch immediately.

I believe what DSI told me is that they are using a crossfade circuit to get this result, but to build it in the Solaris means using up 1 filter for each mode, each with separate settings, and then working out some way to mix across them, probably by using a Vector Mixer, and keeping the joystick (or envelope, or whatever you use to control the mixer movements) to the 'edges' of the mix.
normanion

Post by normanion »

Thank you John for clarification on that matter.

Today with fresh head and your input I got new ideas of achieving my desired effect. I think I could go with 8 stage looping envelope, mixer, two filters and two lag processors for final sculpting. Don't know how to achieve this fading ((100%,0%)->(100%,100%)->(0%,100%)) from external control but for the patch I had in my head, there's at least one solution. Yet! :-)

Once again thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Norman
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, the looping envelope would work, as it has X and Y coordinates for each stage. You can use this with a Vector Mixer.