SPIF to DAW

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
_Analog_

SPIF to DAW

Post by _Analog_ »

I've connected my Solaris to one of several Digidesign 192s via SPDIF. I get the usual digital crackling noise. All my audio interfaces are clocked by an external Mutec iClock. What can I do to get rid of it?

Unfortunately the master clock is physically in another room. Would I need somehow to clock the Solaris - if so, how?

Any help would be very much appreciated
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: SPIF to DAW

Post by John Bowen »

You shouldn’t need to do anything special - connecting the optical will automatically slave the Solaris to the input. The chips will take the incoming clock rate and convert it to 48k, which is the only rate that works for the digital I/O (so, if you then took the optical output, you’d see that the signal is clocked at 48k).

Originally I expected we could run at 96k or other rates using the optical input, but this was not the case. I don’t know if this could be possible cause of the crackling you are hearing - and I don’t run any digital I/O here, so perhaps someone else on the Forum can offer ideas?

John B.

p.s. note that this is is not the same as the DSP rate for processing the sound engine algorithms, which are fixed at 96kHz.
_Analog_

Post by _Analog_ »

Hi John!

Thanks for your reply. I'll make further tests but I've also tried to open a 48kHz session to see if the crackling disappears... unfortunately it's still there.

Best regards

Sven
poupouye

Post by poupouye »

Hello Sven

I got some digital crackling noise too but I could find it's coming from the subtle change of midi tempo coming from my DAW (Cubase 9.5) wich is not perfectly regular :(