Solaris keyboard - specifications

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
stardust

Post by stardust »

Hi John, what about using the display for graphically visualizing the waveform, the envelope shape or the mixer sliders on that central display depending on the section one edits ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

That would certainly be nice to have, but it's extra stuff that won't be in there for the first release.

-john b.
stardust

Post by stardust »

No problem if it is not in the first version.
It could be one of the improvements I know and appreciate from the scope plugin versions.

thanks for the answer.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

As long as John Bowen lives, the synth will be upgraded.

Even if he goes blind I am sure he will learn Brail and continue development.

That is a great idea though Brotha' Man Stardust. 8)
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
- MZ -

Post by - MZ - »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and as a synth enthousiast I'm really interested in a hardware synth like the Solaris.

Perhaps I missed it, but will it be possible to edit all the parameters of a patch from the panel (I mean without using a software editor) ?

Thanks.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hello MZ.

Yes, of course, that's the idea with a hardware piece like Solaris - all parameters are available from the front panel.

regards,
john b.
SHARCRASH

Post by SHARCRASH »

Hello all!

John,
I had read somewhere that you were wondering on how to display the different steps on the 5 knobs step-sequencer module... i have a suggestion: instead of displaying a per page menu method and as there is a jog wheel on the Solaris, you can display the first 5 steps (because of the pots) on the screen and then with that jog scroll on the screen step by step. With this kind of display there is no need to adapt 8, 16, 32... steps to the only 5 rotaries and so introduce any number of steps to any kind of mesures for the synchronisation. If there are buttons that use the per page method of display, you can still make them useful to jump the steps 5 by 5 and the last push would display the remaining steps. :)
Elhardt

Post by Elhardt »

Does anybody know how the Solaris compares with this other mega-synth?

jws

Post by jws »

Ah, the April foolery even made it to this forum. I do remember the Sage . . . probably the best synth hoax of all time.
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Or, how about this?

You could certainly save a lot of panel space thanks to this dense buttonboard. Just count the number of keys!

More info: http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=3276.0
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

A nice little Chord Oscillator controller, a must for the Polka Kings. :idea:

Maybe a close up of Solaris's multiple " large " LCD's would silence the peanut gallery.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

Elhardt wrote:Does anybody know how the Solaris compares with this other mega-synth?
Cute.

Seeing as I played and programmed the Solaris for three days straight, there's no doubt regarding the physicality of the Solaris versus the Sage.

Each time I've had the pleasure of playing the Solaris, the O.S. has been more "finished" and polished.

I'm looking forward to receiving mine later this year! :)
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
SHARCRASH

Post by SHARCRASH »

Good day all!

What about the routing of the filters? I didn't find any information about this detail. And there is still no manual. By the way, when will it be available online? It would be a great reference for people who wonder a lot about this product.
stardust

Post by stardust »

I can only refer to the scope plugin.
And John explained already that the basic architecture is similar to the plugin.
Still i expect that the HW solaris is even more flexible.

Basically all OSCs are mixed individually and routed to each of the 4 filter sections.
These can be switched off or used.
the type of filter is freely selectable.
the output routing of each section is to the VCA in v4.1 but seems freely definable in 5.0 then.

regards stardust
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

SHARCRASH wrote:What about the routing of the filters? I didn't find any information about this detail. And there is still no manual. By the way, when will it be available online? It would be a great reference for people who wonder a lot about this product.
The routing is completely assignable (I don't know what you are looking for exactly?)....so, any filter output can be routed to any other filter input, as well as act as a source for modulation.

I could publish the plug-in manual for viewing. It would give a good idea of the functionality, definitely....but it might also be a bit confusing, where the hardware differs.
Better if I make some edits to the plug-in manual before posting....since I'll have to do that anyway eventually.

-jb