Solaris keyboard - specifications

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote: I like the orange better, but I think it will be even better if you put the circle with the wavy lines in the "O" letter in sOlaris.
:)
Something like these?

scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Classy, very classy idea. I like it, but I am sure there will be more color options down the line.

JB,

I was hoping that I had XITE-1 to play with before the release of the hardware Solaris. Just my luck both will be released simultaneously !! :o

Fine, I already have 2 DAW's up and running for the gig. Once I have X and S programmed to taste, it will be one Helluva surprise.

I can't wait to get my feet wet, and hopefully some of the old preset makers will jump in, especially Benoist, as he has a totally unique approach to preset creation, incredible segue content.

Thanks 4 Keeping Us In The Loop........perhaps that will rub off on SC. :lol:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

John,

very nice to hear that the LFOs provide all these parameters. I am starting to have a GAS here!

And yes, the Solaris logo in these new pics is very good. Exactly what I had in mind.

:D
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

In fact this red color in the logo is so good, that I would definitely consider painting all of it red - with white lines. Now that would be striking.

Basically since Solaris is the latin word for Sun, I'd probably put something ... bright. :D

If that's not possible - then a deep red light in the O with the wavy lines. Something like the Access TI...
vince66

Post by vince66 »

My initial reaction is to say yeah! I love red and it does have a sort of Ferrari sexiness to it but the Clavia stuff is all red and you wouldn't want someone to mistake a Solaris for a Nord lead would you!

You could go orange (bit Waldorf but it's not so common) or stick with the original body colour and have the logo only in the new colours. I assumed that would be the case.

I'm still leaning toward a pearly white finish for the main body, especially considering those new logo colours, although I did like the dark blue, hmmm too many choices!
Any news on the Joystick? A friend asked me about that the other day and said wouldn't it be great if they had some sort of friction device that meant it would return to the start position over a period of time (rather like having a sticky mod wheel that slowly returned to zero on its own at a user definable rate).
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I say make the circle an LCD underneath with a cutout that would match the other LCD's. In the dark where I am sure many will be using this, especially for us live cats, it would be sick. :roll:

At the end of the day, I am more concerned w/ it's awesome sound sculpting possibilities.

stardust

Post by stardust »

orange - if it fits to the dark color of the case - is my vote. I trust in John :)
Howard

Post by Howard »

John Bowen wrote:The simplest thing is to use a delay for each "phase output"...I've sent a request about it to Klaus....-jb
Just a thought: If an LFO is a table of values i.e. not calculated realtime, different phases can be read out "simultaneously". A special delay would be more flexible, though.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Update time!

All pre-order customers have been notified of some changes recently made, and now I thought I'd post something for the forums readers here as well.
The biggest change is that we were able to work in a ribbon controller to be mounted permanently, as opposed to just providing a jack for the Kurzweil Super Ribbon. (This also means we will not provide the jack for the Kurzweil). Concerns were uncertainty about the future availability of the Kurzweil Ribbon and implementation of their circuit interface. It's also more convenient to have it built in, obviously!

We also added some buttons for performance, including the following:

2 assignable buttons
a Unison button
Arpeggiator and Sequencer On/Off
Arpeggiator Hold (latch)
Tap Tempo/BPM indicator button

For general system use, we've also added Undo and Exit buttons.

-john b.
stardust

Post by stardust »

I am glad to hear that since the Kurzweil ribbon was not easy to get here. thanks
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Will the Unison button have the ability to be used on an 8 voice preset, so that when it is engaged it would stack and detune all 8 voices in into a monophonic beast?

Reason I ask is, w/ software Solaris I love the way it sounds when I do this, as it retains all of the PolyGlide settings, and really spreads out the Unison version really well. Even the jump in volume is perfect as it gives the solo a place on top of the mix.

I can't do this performing though as I have to manually do this with a mouse, but it sounds quite full.

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Sure, of course! Unison gets switched on to whatever settings you have in the Unison page, plus you will see that page come up in the graphic display, in case you want to edit it.

-john
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Here's the final front panel layout (the lines/graphics are still undecided):

Last edited by John Bowen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

That's a beautiful layout JB. I prefer that version over the other two. It looks very user friendly! I'm glad you decided to add the ribbon controller. It's the perfect length. This will be an instant classic! Keep up the great work.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Nice one John !!!
CheerZ