Interest for a SOLARIS desktop version ?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

Would you be intersted in a desktop version of the Solaris for 60% of the keyboard price

You may select 1 option

View results

scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I totally agree w/ -MZ-.

I am buying Solaris regardless.

But really love the way I could use it on a keybed of my choice.

In the future an " XPander " which would respond to Poly AT where one could use an 88 noter.

Multitimbrality allows 88 notes to be used more effectively.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

It's the keyboard version all the way for me. With a beautiful display like that, I have to be able to directly control the instrument with my hands on it (it's a mental block, I know). Most of the keyboards that I own (outside of my Hammonds) come in a expander keyboardless version, but I opt for the whole package in every case. Years ago, I had a Korg EX8000 that made beautiful sounds...but something about a MIDI cable connection made it somewhat distant to me.
-S5
stardust

Post by stardust »

well, If the expander version allows John to broaden the user base I'll be fine. My vote stays with the keyboard version.
subsonix

Post by subsonix »

I'd love to see a desktop version (that was rackmountable).

I'm a producer and programmer and definitely haven't got any room for another keyboard in my studio.

I love the sound of the Solaris and can even see myself letting a few of my old analogs go to get my hands on one, but only as a rack!

I realise the shortcomings involved in rack design regarding the controllers, but I'm sure an answer is out there which won't compromise the Solaris' hands on nature.

Subsonix
francois

Post by francois »

No for desktop unit, yes to 3U rack.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

A 3u rack with no hardware controls then.....
john b.
ix

Post by ix »

i'm kind of in the same boat , limited room / space / one master keyboard already that i cant sell but i would buy the 3u solaris rack tommorrow if i could.

John Bowen wrote:A 3u rack with no hardware controls then.....
john b.
Neotrope

My vote is "NO"

Post by Neotrope »

I already have enough rack gear, software, vintage stuff, and two Open Lab NeKos (TSE and G5-XXL - the latter just arrived, haven't even taken it out of the box).

My interest in the JB project is the tremendous user interface which is kind of like, but not at all like, a cross between my Matrix 12 and Hartman Neuron. But it also has some of the things I like about my Kurzweil, with the playable features.

I think this synth is geared to the folks who want to PLAY a keyboard, not simply make noise and bleep-ab-bloop, bleep-ah-bloop and open the filter (yawn). Ribbon controller, check! Joystick, check! Pitch/mod to left of keyboard for normal players, not afterthought up top on the panel... check! Direct feedback of chosen parameters, check. I think John has done a great job of taking the idea of a software plugin instrument and then building that into a virtual instrument with interface, but which uses a lot of DSP to provide a more "organic" and "analog" feel to a digital instrument. Compare the feel of the old Supernova II keyboard playability with the Access Virus keyboard, and it's no comparison. On paper, the Virus Ti (I have one) kicks the Supernova's butt. However for a player, when you sit down and want to "resonate" in a human way with your instrument (by that I mean musical instrument you sick puppies), the overall feel and interface makes the day. Desktop unit? NAH.

I have to say, by comparison, I don't find myself "going to" my Access Virus Ti desktop/rack unit in the same way I did the POLAR keyboard. The POLAR just made you want to play with it. The rack unit, although laid out the same, not so much.

Simply, there is a "disconnect" both literally and figuratively with many things when made into desktop models. With the JB Solaris, I think the feel of the thing would be entirely different without the entire package.

Perhaps a later instrument, the "Solarin" which is a lighter weight and less complex device, and in the Prophet08 price range might be in the future, but I think this flagship model, will be that, the flagship. This is John's modern Prophet 10, or Matrix 12, or Wavestation 2, and a bit of all of these.

Oh ... you just wanted a vote? (LOL) ... that would be no. :P
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Thanks Chris...you nailed exactly what it is I am hoping to provide with the Solaris Interface. I look forward to getting user feedback about such things as parameter paging and function, as these can be always be tweaked in a later OS version if needed (hopefully I will have provided something from the start that satisfies most users!).

cheers,
john b.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

If only there were some way to get polyAT in the keybed.....! What are they using in the new Rhodes Mk 7?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The new Rhodes system was developed by Stefan Stenzel exclusively for Rhodes. It is not licensable to any other product line.
I'm guessing it's a form of 'time & flight' sensing, which we used on the Prophet T8, but I don't really know the details.

john b.

p.s. Dave Sesnak, of Wine Country Sequential, developed the T8's system for us at Sequential. I suppose if there was enough $$$, I could 'commission' him to design something for the Solaris :-)
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

The Infinite Response people also developed a PolyAT sensing system (right down the row from you, remember?) but after their big NAMM splash they have since become quiet....the new Rhodes action is very nice, but I didn't have a chance to test the PolyAT, and $6000 for a MIDI controller is waay over my budget (I wouldn't use the Rhodes sound itself much, and am satisfied with software emulations).

I have pretty much resigned myself to being thankful that the Kurz MIDIBoard was built like a tank, and that you plan to include polyAT response in the Solaris!
kristijanf

Re: Interest for a SOLARIS desktop version ?

Post by kristijanf »

DSP power should remain the same.
Price range...
60 percent of keyboard version??
ColeKu

Re: Interest for a SOLARIS desktop version ?

Post by ColeKu »

marzzfz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:57 am The Infinite Response people also developed a PolyAT sensing system (right down the row from you, remember?) but after their big NAMM splash they have since become quiet....the new Rhodes action is very nice, but I didn't have a chance to test the PolyAT, and $6000 for a MIDI controller is waay over my budget (I wouldn't use the Rhodes sound itself much, and am satisfied with software emulations).

I have pretty much resigned myself to being thankful that the Kurz MIDIBoard was built like a tank, and that you plan to include polyAT response in the Solaris!
I agree re DSP power. How did you get to the 60% figure by the way, Kristijan? Just an estimate?
Last edited by ColeKu on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.