user waveformss

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
fizzydiodes

user waveformss

Post by fizzydiodes »

Hi

will the solaris have any ability to allow the user to load their own samples and waveforms to be used as oscillators and also with the wavesequences ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi,

Yes, user samples and wavetables will be loadable via the editor. There are no wave sequences (yet), as typically these use a dedicated block of sample memory, and I wasn't planning to have a 'factory sample ROM' type of object in there. This is not to say we couldn't provide a mechanism to provide wave sequencing functions; it's just that the content for such a function would be entirely up to the user (making factory-supplied wave sequences a non-item).

cheers,
john b.
fizzydiodes

Post by fizzydiodes »

just caught the demo in sonic state and the solaris sounds beautifull.The ability to use your own wavs or create stuff is very appealing to me , for sound design i am sure the solaris will be amazing with its built in stuff but i just love the idea of using some very unusual samples as sources also and to create tables.Maybe the solaris will eventually stretch to being bale to granulate user waves ? and scan these ' like on the reaktor travelizer and particle synth ensembles ) . . it already sounds beautifull . . .very crystal like . . .nice to hear a synth not focusing on grunge and analogueness over everything else.

Yes, user samples and wavetables will be loadable via the editor. There are no wave sequences (yet), as typically these use a dedicated block of sample memory, and I wasn't planning to have a 'factory sample ROM' type of object in there. This is not to say we couldn't provide a mechanism to provide wave sequencing functions; it's just that the content for such a function would be entirely up to the user (making factory-supplied wave sequences a non-item).

cheers,
john b.[/quote]
fizzydiodes

Post by fizzydiodes »

meant to also ask john if the user samples will be internally stored on powerdown ? seems theres always been a gap in the market for a synth which was equally a good sample resynthesiser and synthesiser ( with decent ram of at least 256mb ), the oasy has addressed this with massive memory for user samples and the ability to wavesequence these and synthesise them using the internal synth engine . .. i wonder what your idea was with the solaris ? a similiar thing - nice amount of ram able to load long sounds and then rework these with all those lovely parameters or were you looking at a simpler idea of users being able to load short cyclic waveforms they make which become the fundemental waveforms for tables etc ? the big issue with user sounds / waveforms is the size of ram and how the user can easily recall these and if the system can store them.