Simple Audio Examples

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Added a new example today using white noise fed into the tube filter. See the Solaris page: http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris.html
-jb
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

John Bowen wrote:Added a new example today using white noise fed into the tube filter. See the Solaris page: http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris.html
-jb
Sounds really tubey indeed, I first tought it would sound a like valve circuit, but when playing the demo I really heard it like it came through a pipe :P
[url]http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio[/url] or
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

Very cool John, thanks for putting up another sound example. :)
I thought it was rather haunting and ethereal, another color from the pallette we'll be able to choose from when creating sounds.

I know it's still a bit early but do you have any sound designers in mind who will be creating patches for the Solaris? confidential at this time?
just curious that's all, I know you are quite capable of creating some wonderful patches but if I remember you usually don't do a whole soundset.

Do we know yet how many patches(programs) will be in basic memory?
Am I old fashioned to still call them patches?? :lol:
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Keep 'Em Comin'. :lol:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
stardust

Post by stardust »

Very nice example beyond the VA road. It's maturing.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

seamonkey wrote:I know it's still a bit early but do you have any sound designers in mind who will be creating patches for the Solaris? confidential at this time?
Yes, absolutely! I've already contacted those who helped create some of the 500+ patches for the Solaris plug-in, and a number of other well-known sound designers have asked me to include them in the process as well. These people represent a good cross-section of many different styles - if I ended up doing them all, you'd probably get bored after a short while! :-)

seamonkey wrote:Do we know yet how many patches(programs) will be in basic memory? Am I old fashioned to still call them patches?? :lol:
I'm not sure what the final memory configuration will be, divided up between Presets and Multis - I was hoping to have 999 presets in there, but let's see how it goes.
And no, 'patch' is what I still call them, however I think the marketplace has sided with the term 'Presets' now. (I remember when we used to argue at length about what to call these objects at Korg, especially since we had patches, performances, multis, combos, etc., floating around, not to mention Yamaha's term, 'voices', which really led to some confusion in specifications - "How many voices do you have?").

-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Hey and don't forget performances and partials. :roll:

I am so old when I go into an antique store they try to lock the doors behind me..................Ankyu.

I am so old we never had presets, but would ask how many sounds does it have.....................Ankyu..........................Please stay seated.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

999? wow, that's quite a bit(more than I hoped for) :). It will be interesting to hear how the different sound designers approach this wonderful new synthesizer with it's many tools to choose from.
It's nice to have a place to start(presets) with every new synthesizer but there's nothing more rewarding than coming up with one's own unique sound creation even if they are sometimes edited versions of a preset.
While I have a basic understanding of synthesis I'm basically a knob twister, button pusher, see what happens if I do this kinda guy.
I've just acquired a partially filled synthesizers.com porta 22 modular and the ability to see the signal path going from one module to another is not only fun but highly educational.
I guess that's how the term patches became so widely used in the early days, from people using patch cords to create their sounds.

Yes, I remember auditioning synths in the late 80's and each manufacturer had their own terminology, voices, combi's, presets, patches, programs, partials, etc. :lol:

Jimmy I'm so old Bob Moog was my paperboy! :lol:
stardust

Post by stardust »

999 is a lot.
Sounds like a good librarian is needed ;)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, we will be using category filters (2 or 3 types for each preset) to help organize things in the synth. I'm not sure as to how the Editor/Librarian will look, but of course, there has to be something for that as well (especially to load user samples or wavetables).

-jb
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi All:

Another little test - this time, you have a 50/50 chance guessing which is which, since there's only 2 examples. :-)
One of these is the Solaris, and the other is a Rev3 Prophet 5.

CEM 1
CEM 2
Here's both of the files, one in each ear:
CEMs together
Howard

Post by Howard »

How to beat 50:50? :idea: The one that doesn't have a detuned voice is Solaris.
BTW: Resonance seems to be slightly higher in #2 (judging by the "bumps" when cutoff goes low)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, well....that is the easy giveaway :D

Also...re: Solaris - this is not strictly an emulation of a CEM filter (it's not in there yet), but the main MultiMode filter in Lowpass 4 pole (24 dB slope) mode.
I just wanted to call it that for the test's sake. 8)

So...no 'slop' parameter in the Solaris tuning yet...and I hit the Tune button on my P5 numerous times!! Next time I'll have to be a lot more careful...

-jb

p.s. re: resonance - yeah, I should have spent more time on it to match them
Howard

Post by Howard »

John Bowen wrote:...not strictly an emulation of a CEM filter (it's not in there yet), but the main MultiMode filter in Lowpass 4 pole (24 dB slope) mode. I just wanted to call it that for the test's sake. 8)
:D Had me fooled! Will the CEMulation sound different enough to warrant developing it?

BTW: I'm looking forward to any news about that SLOP parameter (because I think it might make a huge difference to the "sound")
stardust

Post by stardust »

This is antitune is it ? ;)