Does Solaris really need a step sequencer?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

Poll ended at Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 pm

yes
42%
no
42%
I think so, but as an update later would be fine
16%

Total votes: 19

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I'm wondering now about this - and I'd like to hear from you!

-john b.
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

I don't think that this is a priority, but having used evOLver since March 2003, I would say that is may be a useful addition at some time in the future. I'd love to hear the effects of a running sequence with adjustments made to some of the more obscure filters in a live situation.
urge

Post by urge »

It would be useful, but not a priority. I'd much rather see the Ribbon and an arpeggiator.Just my 2 cents.
stardust

Post by stardust »

No need. Though Karma like pattern apeggio/sequencer would be nice. Simple sequencer implementations are either better in external HW or by DAW midi signals IMHO.

Instead I would be happy about an ethernet OSC protocol to have external control to the parameters via OSC. But thats another story....
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

stardust wrote:No need. Though Karma like pattern apeggio/sequencer would be nice.
Ah, but to have the Karma algorithms requires licensing them from Stephen Kay ($$$)....and also, I'm not sure if Korg's arrangement is exclusive for keyboard products.

-john b.
Housefly

Post by Housefly »

a step sequencer ala evolver could bring a lot of extra life into the keyboard...

the radikal technologies spectralis has like 30+ sequencerlines that can be assigned to any parameter you like... you can imagine what results come out of that...

if you allow smooth steps you can basicly create modulation curves... i for one see a lot of sound morphing possibilities in tools like that...

also dsp related i guess it doesn't eat that much?

implementing it in a ergonomic way in the existing solaris keyboard layout probably is the most problematic part? perhaps it is something to seriously consider implementing in a future solaris editor release?

anyway suppose you have eg. 4 sequencerlines (the more the better :lol: ) of 16 steps each with the choice of targetting 4 (or more) independent parameters or one parameter that has like 4x 16 steps you can program some nice evolving textures.

for me this is where the fun exist with programming the evolver... especially the poly evolver :twisted:

IMO it would add A LOT
stardust

Post by stardust »

my Andromeda has a sequencer that is not useful, since it is not easy to handle and apain to program. So how to do that here in solaris ?
cornutt

Post by cornutt »

TO me it's not that important. I'll just do whatever sequencing I need using the computer. My drum machine has a sequencer, and I never use it.
Housefly

Post by Housefly »

i think there is no use for a 'sequencer' in the solaris as you know it in grooveboxes or on you computer DAW...

i think the 'sequencer' -kind that could be realy useful in the solaris is a (multi-track) stepeditor that can be routed to any parameter you want. it does not have to be note info.

i mean i use these stepsequencers at all time when patching in the nord G2 and it's amazing how 'evolving' your sounds get by using the stepsequencers in the evolvers...

there is more to these stepeditors then just painstakingly programming melodies into them... i use other software for that too. what i'm talking about are flexible userprogrammable modulation sources
stardust

Post by stardust »

Good point.

So if we are not referring to a note event sequencer, but a multisegment envelope/control event generator the story would be a bit different.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, this is more or less how the sequencer on the Solaris plug-in works. You have all the modulation destinations which can select one of 3 rows of control data, the limit being that Row 1 is set for tuning, so it adjusts in semitones, while the other 2 rows are full range.

And again, this can be completely different for the hardware. I was just trying to get an estimate as to how important it was to have a step sequencer (like the Arturia Origin or Prophet '08 or any other number of synths), and how much time to dedicate to that versus some other things.

I really appreciate all the input - Thanks!

-john b.
stardust

Post by stardust »

John Bowen wrote:
stardust wrote:No need. Though Karma like pattern apeggio/sequencer would be nice.
Ah, but to have the Karma algorithms requires licensing them from Stephen Kay ($$$)....and also, I'm not sure if Korg's arrangement is exclusive for keyboard products.

-john b.
Ok I understand that one. It may very likely be exclusive for the Kork synths.
devotional

Post by devotional »

I voted yes to a step sequencer and I agree with the suggestions that it should be able to control parameters as well as notes.

However, I would suggest considering something in line with what I think is referred to as a "polyphonic arpeggiator". I've used it with Korg Triton/Karma keyboards and I think it opens up lots of new possibilities. This could be a compromise instead of introducing the full Karma functionality. Not sure about the patent situation on such a thing though...

Even more flexble would be a kind of modular system for controlling notes and parameters based on events (incoming midi) or timing. Typical simple modules would be delay, panning, standard arp and a step sequencer. But with a solid framework for this it could be possible to add more complex modules when they can be developed (sorry for wondering off into dreamland, but I actually have a small hobby project creating a standalone midibox for providing that kind of functionality).
wireangel

Post by wireangel »

I also voted YES. The Solaris synth looks to have a very deep programming structure with plenty of audio resources for making evolving sounds and phrases. Although the 8 stage looping envelopes are nice, being able to program timbral modulation via a sequencer interface opens up another layer of possibilities.

John - how do you intend the sequencer to work in relation to the envelope triggers? Being able to choose triggers off of each step or on sequence start, loop etc would allow for the construction of interesting relationships between the sequence stages and envelopes. This would be a bit like being able to trigger envelopes from LFO cycles, but a little more flexible...hmm come to think of it having envelopes that were triggered from that too would have interesting potential!

:-)
^^^
- -
--

Listen Carefully!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I would probably do the same thing as I did in the plug-in, which is that each envelope can be assigned to trigger from either the keyboard or one of the sequence rows (there are 3 in the plug-in, and probably will be 4 rows in the keyboard).

John b.