Sonic State of Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Tiitu

Sonic State of Solaris

Post by Tiitu »

It would be quite interesting to envisage, how Solaris will be rated in comparison to the following, for example:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/roland_jd990.cfm
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/oberhiem_xpand.cfm
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/alesis_andromeda.cfm ???
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/sci_prophetv.cfm
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/dsi_prophet08.cfm :shock: 8)

Will 100% bars be reached in case of Solaris?
Will Solaris get even better ratings than Prophet V?
How can these better ratings be justified?
What could still be improved in comparison to Prophet´08 , a.o.?

Cheers :wink:
stardust

Re: Sonic State of Solaris

Post by stardust »

Tiitu wrote: What could still be improved in comparison to Prophet´08 , a.o.?

Cheers :wink:
Well, prophet08 has flaws in bass, digital and percussion.

Solaris will be better in digital thats clear by the wavetavles already.
Percussion depends on the envelopes speed and flexibility.
Bass seems not an issue for solaris.

but this is a bit apple and oranges since solaris is not an emulator of something but an own league.
Tiitu

Analog Xpansion

Post by Tiitu »

:idea: If the missing analog circuitry will (later) be considered a minus, maybe there could be room for a simple analog expander box, which Solaris could control directrly through MIDI.
matocaster

Re: Analog Xpansion

Post by matocaster »

Tiitu wrote::idea: If the missing analog circuitry will (later) be considered a minus, maybe there could be room for a simple analog expander box, which Solaris could control directrly through MIDI.
I don't think that would be necessary. The Solaris is a digital synth and will have Oberheim and Prophet rev1 oozing out of it. We haven't really heard much of what it will be capable of. It's a little premature to think it won't nail the analog type sounds. I think Solaris will be one of the most sought after synths once it's released commercially. It'll basically be the ultimate software with the ultimate hardware interface.
stardust

Post by stardust »

Dont misunderstand me.
the scope plugin Solaris is well equipped to outperform most virtual analogs in the market.
The same I expect for Solaris in HW.
But it has also the wavetable aspects on board plus FM.

This definitely much more than a emulation of a analog only.
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

This is nice to hear, because a virtual analog synth emulating an other or even multiple real analog synths would not be so hot in my opinion. (Or, maybe the latter would be, but we have got Arturia HW/SW already.) The reason is that you still can get almost any of the legendary analog synths. Of those, I like especially Oberheim Matrix-12/Xpander/1000, Roland MKS-70, and some Yamaha CS-30-40m-70 and Korg. And, there are good emulators, like Creamware.

But, maybe after an other 10-20 years, when most real analog synths don't work anymore, it would be a very good idea to make one real analog synth like newborn and more, like Dave Smith already did in the splendid Pro'08, or, to design a brilliant, small-sized emulator box (or, why not truly analog) for Matrix-12/OB-Xa or ARPs, or why not for THEM ALL in one box.

It could be Solaris Xpander - I'm dreaming.

Now, however, I'm hoping to get something new and HIFI, which is not available from anywhere else. Good old features, synthesis methods etc. would just make it even better!

I'm ready to wait longer, if Solaris can get better that way. I think this is my part what I can 'do' in addition to having ordered one, ofcourse.

Cheers, :wink:
Tiitu.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Everyone on the Forum,

I'm in Siegburg, Germany now, checking things prior to the Frankfurt Messe.

I heard some new results yesterday that sound quite nice, and I think many will be pleased. Still we have a lot of work ahead before finishing.

If anyone is able to come to the Frankfurt music show, please come by. I am sharing the booth with Sonic Core, and that booth number is:

Halle 5.1
Stand D10

We will be just 2 booths away from Dave Smith and Access Virus, so it should be a decent crowd there. The last day of the show (Saturday, March 15) is open to the public (tickets are either 20 or 26 Euros, I'm not sure why the Messe website gives you 2 options for day tickets).

Cheers,
John b.
B787

Post by B787 »

Hi JB

Will there be any site updates in the work prior to Music Messe ? Looking forward to hearing and seeing the production model of the Solaris.

Cheers. 8)
"Enough silence can make good music great"
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

B787,
Sorry, but no. It looks like I won't have a final production model until September. After working with the current proto for a while, I've decided to make some changes to the UI to improve ease-of-use. Any updates to the Web site in terms of audio content will have to wait until I'm back home following the show.

Many thanks to everyone for their patience!

cheers,
john b.
Last edited by John Bowen on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stardust

Post by stardust »

Please John take your time to finish the Solaris. It is better to have a tested synth than a early one. best wishes stardust
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

No problems, John. We want the Solaris to be the best it possibly can. That's well worth the wait. :)
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com