Questions and Suggestions...

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
serena-5

Questions and Suggestions...

Post by serena-5 »

I can hardly wait for my Solaris to be delivered, but I know for a fact that it will be worth the wait. I know that these have already been discussed ad nauseum. but I would like to throw my suggestions out into the fray...
(1) Keyboard action...I currently own many synths, and most seem to have a Fatar action...however, the keys/action on the Access Virus line seem to have a better "feel" than any that I have tried on any other synth outside of the Prophet T8 or Synclavier...and in addition, the accidentals (black keys) seem to be textured...is this action an option ?? In addition, most keyboards of today seem to have a "all or none" aftertouch...it's either 0 or 127. Is it possible to create a aftertouch (like my Motif XS8) that responds at all levels of pressure ??
(2) Multitimbral (or at least bitimbral) (sp.)...the Nord Lead line have this, and it makes it so easy to set up programs/combos for live performance on the fly...
(3) The ability to hold a note while changing a patch...
(4) Complete USB functionality, with a patch editor/librarian...
(5) A dedicated tempo tap button for all arpegiated functions, with a tempo LED...
(6) A "compare" button that would allow comparison between the original patch and the modified patch...
(7) A morph function triggerable by wheel, pedal, or the planned joystick...
(8) Programmable catagory search groups that the owner creates, allowing the musician to group patches according to the needs of the session/gig without having to remove/reshuffle internal patches, ala the Virus TI...
and finally...
(9) for those extremely anal types like me, glass display screens rather than plastic, so that the inevitable people who like to run their fingers over the display panels will do no damage.
Keep up the great work, and thanks so much for having a forum like this where we users can actually voice opinions in the development of the Solaris.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi serena-5,

Quick answers:

1) I think the Solaris has the better Fatar keyboard action, and it has those "textured" black keys...they look like piano 'accidental keys'.
2) The plan is 4 part multitimbral, but not in the first software version.
3) I would also like to have this, but at the moment, it's not there (the function is actually tied to the Multitibral functionality).
4) The editor will be developed, but the first release might only be to import user samples and wavetables.
5) Don't have this anywhere
6) There is a Compare button, right below the Preset button on the right side
7) No morphing function is in the Solaris plug-in; I'm not sure if this can be done easily for the hardware version.
8 ) Yes, it will have programmable preset categories
9) glass versus plastic covers for the displays....hmmmmmm, this is a matter of availability and costs, I would guess. I will have to ask.

-john b.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

I would also suggest top quality AD/DA converters and balanced inputs (why not?)

John, if the Solaris is 4x multitimbral, will there be a split function? Maybe this way you can load some drum samples and have some instant dance music withe arpeggiator latched.

Please change the color scheme. Solaris is a latin word for sun, how about an ice white - black lebels and letters, with maple wood?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:John, if the Solaris is 4x multitimbral, will there be a split function? Maybe this way you can load some drum samples and have some instant dance music withe arpeggiator latched.
Each part in the Multitimbre Mode has key zoning, so you can use that for splits and layers.

-john b.