Best of NAMM - April 2008 issue Keyboard Magazine

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Best of NAMM - April 2008 issue Keyboard Magazine

Post by John Bowen »

I've just found out that the Solaris is prominently displayed in the April issue of Keyboard (page 34), as one of the products regarded as "Best of NAMM from A to Z"! I hope to get a scan of it to post here, but in the meantime, please go check out a copy if you can find it.

The text written closes with the following:
"Nothing we're saying here can match walking up to the thing and just playing a major triad. It really does sound huge."
stardust

Post by stardust »

Congrats John. hard earned merits.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

That's great news John!
I recently purchased a Keyboard back issue lot from late 70's to mid 80's.There's an issue from Jun.'85 dedicated to "The Fine Art Of Programming Synthesizers". There's an interview between 6 of of the best programmers of the time. One of them is a young bearded John Bowen. Besides JB, I only recognize Eric Persing currently with Spectrasonics. I wonder if any of the others are still programming. All of their works are represented in SCI,Korg,Yamaha,Roland,Oberheim and Octave Plateau Electronics. It's a wonderful insight into what those programmers were thinking at the time.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

A bearded John Bowen??? :shock:

I think Roland had considered at one point instead of calling their new synths the Roland D50 and JD800, the Eric Persing Mark 1 and Mark II but the suits in front office won with the creative names of a letter followed by a number. :roll:

Thank you John for not naming the Solaris with numbers! :D
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

It will be refreshing to see something other than VST, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, ( yawn,yawn).
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole