Specifications of the the solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Elie

Specifications of the the solaris

Post by Elie »

Hi John, I'm a synthesizer fanatic for a long time and I see that the solaris is a kick ass synth, I will probably buy it in a few months.
I have some questions concerning the sound personnality of the solaris.
Will it be capable of emulating analog stuff like CS80 Yamaha, Elka Synthex, ARP2600 or Memorymoog ?
I know that you've already implemented Prophet 5 oscillators and filters, but I would like to find in this machine "Vangelis" like sounds. :D

I've got an idea for you for future package, maybe implement additive synthesis, it would be great of a synth of this class.

Sorry for my english, but I'm french and send this lines from Paris.

Best regards, I repeat, you did a great job with the Solaris and hope to have this machine between my hands really quick
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Elie,

Thank you for your nice words here in the Forum!

What I'm trying to do with the Solaris is provide a platform that contains a number of elements drawn from both past and present - obviously, the Prophet legacy is most appropriate given my history. But in my estimation there's a lot more to it than just putting in emulations of the different modules - if one is looking for exact emulations of vintage instruments, well...I just don't think there's any products out there that will truly do that, including Solaris. So many variables are involved - even if you take several Prophets of the same revision and compare them, you will find small differences in the details between them.

However, as a flexible and versatile instrument, I certainly expect the Solaris to be able to provide sounds that are both musical and expressive, and which can be easily expanded to incorporate additional features as time goes on. From the list you provide, I don't have CS80 or Elka Synthex modules planned, but that's not to say you couldn't evoke some "Vangelis" like sounds from Solaris! As for ARP or Memorymoog - Solaris will also include oscillator and filter models from the Minimax ASB, and Prodyssey modules most likely will be in the future, if warranted.

regards,
john bowen

p.s. being French, I'm sure you are aware of the Arturia Origin, which specifically offers most of the emulations you mention. That might be something you'll want to check out as well.
Elie

Post by Elie »

Thank you for your answer John, I've checked about the Arturia Origin, It looks like a good machine, but sorry I prefer your Solaris :D
For CS 80 or Synthex emulations, I will use your machine and try to recreate what I want. Don't worry, I felt in love with the sounds I heard on the Solaris and the possibilities seems endless and I'm a big fan of the Prophet 5, what a legend and I know that you are the part of this legend with Dave Smith
:)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

The CS80 emulation, depending on which sound you want is quite easy. The only real distinctive sounds were attributed to the Supe Band Pass Filter.

http://www.synthtech.com/motm480.html

Filter Cascading could be used, w/ CEM Oscillators. For the Marimba type of sounds like Porcaro used in " Africa ", the Wave Oscillators w/ proper envelope settings will easily do the trick. Vangellis type pads are a cinch using the CEM's and different filter combos. But the aftertouch type of pads are what made the CS80 a great live performer.

I missed my Ribbon from the CS80 as it was directly above the keys, so I bought an Expressionmate a while back. Solaris should weigh about 140lbs. less too. :D
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Elie

Post by Elie »

Thank you for the advice scope4live, I like very much Africa from "Toto" but the sounds that I'am looking for are more from Vangelis, like the soundtrack of Baderunner or Antarctica : sounds of horns, pads and sound effects.
When I see the capabilities of the solaris, I think it can do it with 2 oscillators with sawtooth waves and low pass filter controlled by an enveloppe for example. I have a home studio with a friend. the music we do is more ambient, space music like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Steve Roach, Michael Stearns and of course Vangelis. I think that the Solaris is the ultimate piece of gear for this kind of music.

It's nice to meet people who have the same attract for the Solaris, and exchanges advice and ideas on this forum.

Regards
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

Welcome to the forum Elie. I don't know if you're aware or not of the initial availability of Solaris. The first 50 will be the first to be produced, these were preorders which are already filled, the second 50 will be available before Solaris goes into the retail system. John is offering a discount for these if you make a down payment, all the information regarding this is available on the Purchase link located at the top of the page. It's an opportunity to own this maginificent synth and save some euros at the same time. :wink:
John Bowen wrote:Elie,
As for ARP or Memorymoog - Solaris will also include oscillator and filter models from the Minimax ASB, and Prodyssey modules most likely will be in the future, if warranted.
I for one love the idea of the Prodessy module becoming available for Solaris, some of the demos I've heard are quite impressive 8), in fact before settling on the Solaris I was considering purchasing the ASB version.
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Hey Elie. Welcome.

Not sure if it was mentioned... but it looks like "Prophet VS" waveshapes will be on Solaris also. So with those, and the Rotors, my guess is you could do some ProphetVS-like stuff on it.

Always liked the Vectron in the Creamware scope. And I'm guessing you could get close to that with the included waveshapes + above. It's going to be a swiss-army-knife.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, all the Prophet VS waveshapes (which were also in the Vectron) will be include in Solaris.

-jb
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

That's a good addition, especially with the Vectoring capabilities. I like Vectrons grungy sound already, but with cleaned up wavetables ( 24bit? ), it will blend nicely w/ Oscillators, etc.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/download/file.php?id=3649
Last edited by scope4live on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

Actually....the original Prophet VS waveshapes were 12-bit, and the 'grunge' character was part of the sound (produced by the method of interpolation used). We have discussed what to do about this - provide a smoother sound as you mention, or produce it in a way to accurately emulate the original - and of course, the best way would be to have a switch (as we do for the Waldorf wavetable transitions). I'll have more details after my trip to Germany this week.

john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

That's excellent as I already have 12 bit Vectron and like it, but options are always prefferred.

BTW, Since the time draws near I must have a custom case from A & S Case of Hollywood made. They have the most awesome synthetic snakeskin for the exterior of their cases. They don't advertise it but there is still enough laying around in the backrrom to make a Solaris case. You can take a key across it and it leaves no scars !! :D

They haven't used it since I had a ton of road racks from the late 80's made. But at NAMM they had the best booth around with the coolest racked up shit back then.

If you could give me the dimensions I would appreciate it.

It's feast or famine in our business and I am feasting right now, so I better get it before she changes her mind.

H x W x D Standard or metric, depending who's tape you grab.

Thanks

JV :wink:

epoxy2600

Post by epoxy2600 »

I say keep the VS waves grungy and true to their heritage. Isn't that the point in having them included? Cleaning them up would be on par with taking the CEM VCO emulations and altering the wave shapes to make them more clinically perfect saw/square/triangle...in other words, why then call it CEM style?

Then again, I do see the merits of having cleaner, sonically different versions on the Solaris, though, given it isn't meant to be a strict replacement for an original VS. Maybe that way the old and new instruments would complement each other nicely.

Either way I'm excited about the sonic possibilities!
stardust

Post by stardust »

I am sure the switch (or slider) will do its job to make both relaity. The cleaner 21st century wavetables and the original 12bit Vectron ones.