Solaris and old Prophet VS patch compatibility?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
epoxy2600

Solaris and old Prophet VS patch compatibility?

Post by epoxy2600 »

With the Solaris having the original VS waves onboard, and with the inclusion of a joystick or touchpad to do vector synthesis, seems like the Solaris can easily replicate the signal path of an original VS (and of course do much, much, more).

Has the idea of making the Solaris compatible with old VS patches via sysex been seriously considered? I suppose the Solaris would have to find an appropriate filter mode to use (e.g. a CEM emulation) as well as remapping the analog chorus settings to digital FX, but that would be such a great way to have instant classic sound libraries available on the new synth. Not to mention bringing all kinds of new possibilities to favorite VS patches (like loading old DX7 patches into a SY99 or FS1R).

I'm sure you guys have thought of this, and I just didn't see the posting?
stardust

Post by stardust »

Have their ever been patch files vor the VS publically available ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

There are a couple of sources I've seen, such as Kid Nepro's.

I've never looked into what it would take to estimate what values are represented in the original presets of some synth and apply it to approximate the same values in a new product, but I can see that people might be attracted to that (especially for the DX-7 library out there, which seems huge). For me it's not so interesting, because I don't think you can exactly reproduce the sound of the old vintage equipment anyway.

john b.
epoxy2600

Post by epoxy2600 »

Hi John, I certainly agree that one shouldn't expect to get the exact same sound from dialing up a patch from an old VS into the Solaris, but to me it's more about breathing new life into those existing old patches and having a quick and painless way to import them as a sonic starting point. For example, I have a ton of old DX-7 patches that I've really liked loading into my SY99 and FS1R synths because then I can use their unique parameters to change those old sounds into something fresh and new. Starting from those familiar old patches is a creative head start.

I want to clarify that I didn't mean the Solaris could import DX sounds, or libraries from other radically different old synths. What I was tempted by was the fact that since the heart of the Prophet VS will be in the Solaris (the original VS waves, CEM filter emulation, vector capabilities, etc.) and since the Solaris could easily duplicate the VS's sound chain, then perhaps having the Solaris understand old VS patch data via sysex and remapping those parameters wouldn't be that big of a stretch...?

But of course that kind of software support could come down the line much later as an upgrade...?