Solaris at home in November ?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

Your serial number is in your Receipt document as your invoice number.

john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi everyone!

I'm back in my hotel now, after another full day with the Sonic Core guys and my new business partner, Goffe Torgerson. I can tell you a little bit about what we're doing....one of the decisions we're now making is regarding the look of the graphics. Look for a new logo and slightly different colors, with some variations for the center area.

Another full day tomorrow - it's all about parameters and 'paging'!

-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Excellent.

I hope your partner loves the synth as much as we do. Congrats.

I am high up on the Totem Pole, thank you. :wink:

I also have a distributor who is interested in Northern Nevada. He understands it won't be a Yamaha flooring plan. We can discuss that after I demo the unit sent to me at his house / studio. He is one of the few small dealers that managed to survive the Mars/Sam Ash / Guitar Center generic onslaughts. Mostly because of carrying products other dealers don't have in stock.

Thanks to him upcoming kids are using SE-1X's and Evolvers instead of ( yawn,yawn ) Motif's, etc. :o
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
stardust

Post by stardust »

Great news John. Things are moving.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I agree, this is great news John. I've already figured out exactly where it will sit under the Christmas tree. :D
If you need more elves to make sure it's done by Christmas we can send more or put the ones we have on mandatory overtime. :lol:
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Everyone!

I guess I'm turning this thread into a 'daily diary' a bit. Hope that is OK.

Today we spent the whole day (9 hours) with Howard Scarr here. I had invited him up from Frankfurt to have a look at the latest and greatest, and to get his input on some critical things. (Howard is registered on the forum as, well, 'Howard', surprisingly :o )...
Anyway, it was incredibly valuable to get Howard's feedback on things, and I am very grateful for his participation. As well, it seems we will have the opportunity to have some of Howard's excellent sound design appear in the Solaris!

(For a short background on Howard Scarr, please check his Website: http://www.zorchmusic.com/hscarr/ ).

-john b.
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

Not to be a killjoy of some sort, but if the Solaris isnt parked in my house in December 08 I must cancel the order I think, I told myself when I bought it, to wait untill December. (actually OCT/NOV)

I dont want to wait tooo long for a synth, ofc I give John all the time he needs to develop and release the synth. But I dont have that time unfortunatly. Sometimes you have to draw the line at some point.

I must have something to subsitute for my ASBs that are buggy still. I want to produce music.

Will the Solaris be bugfree? I dont know and maybe that will take another 6months to fix that. (I owned a spectralis from 0.92 and after 3 years it is still at 0.98)

Sorry if a sound like a disbeliever, but that is my opinion atm.

It will be very sad if it must be so, because I think it will be a megasynth.
[url]http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio[/url] or
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

John Bowen wrote:Hi Everyone!

I guess I'm turning this thread into a 'daily diary' a bit. Hope that is OK.

Today we spent the whole day (9 hours) with Howard Scarr here. I had invited him up from Frankfurt to have a look at the latest and greatest, and to get his input on some critical things. (Howard is registered on the forum as, well, 'Howard', surprisingly :o )...
Anyway, it was incredibly valuable to get Howard's feedback on things, and I am very grateful for his participation. As well, it seems we will have the opportunity to have some of Howard's excellent sound design appear in the Solaris!

(For a short background on Howard Scarr, please check his Website: http://www.zorchmusic.com/hscarr/ ).

-john b.
I for one welcome the updates from Germany so please keep em coming. :D
I am a huge Howard Scarr fan, his knowledge and his ability to create textures in sound design are legendary. As I've said elsewhere in this forum many of his presets in the Access Virus were my favorites, so to hear of his involvement with Solaris is exciting.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

SepticStudio wrote:Not to be a killjoy of some sort, but if the Solaris isnt parked in my house in December 08 I must cancel the order I think, I told myself when I bought it, to wait untill December. (actually OCT/NOV)

Sorry if a sound like a disbeliever, but that is my opinion atm.

It will be very sad if it must be so, because I think it will be a megasynth.
I understand your disappointment and frustration in this most recent delay in delivery of Solaris, I think we've all felt this way at one time or another but maybe not to the point of cancelling our order.
I've gotten to the point to just accept these delays because I know John is trying to make Solaris the best it can be before it's shipped and if he's willing to keep putting new features into it before it's packed and sent to me, than it will be worth the wait.

We are all pioneers in a sense this is new territory, unchartered waters where we have placed our faith and hard earned dollars in John's reputation and his vision of Solaris and it's synthesis capabilities.
We who will be the first owners of this beautiful synthesizer will have the eyes and ears of the Synth community upon us as they wait to find out if Solaris is all it's hoped to be, for this reason John has to make sure it's ready. To release it too soon at a time when people will be deciding if it's worth spending the money on could determine future production of the Solaris, not to mention John's reputation and standing in the Synth community.

I feel extremely honored to be amongst like minded musicians who understand what Solaris is really about, to have the opportunity to be one of the first to own this magnificent synthesizer. I think of it much like those who were lucky enough to own one of the first minimoogs, prophet 5 or mellotrons, we will be part of history.

I would only hope you can hang on a little bit longer because I know it will be well worth the wait.
:)
Last edited by seamonkey on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

sure still 3 months till december :)
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Pushing the release date back is not a problem for me at all. I'm more than happy to wait til December or longer. I have enough toys to keep me busy til then. I understand and respect that other people have different priorities. But I'm really looking for something radically different than what I've got in the studio now. If waiting a few months longer means improvement on the Solaris, then I say, it's worth the wait. I want the uniqueness to be significant. Very few things turn out properly when rushed anyway... and from what I've seen; time hasn't been wasted. John's been in regular contact with me (as well as others) regarding developments. He's answered all my queries promptly, which is a lot more than I can say for some of the bigger companies out there who I've had to contact. Every time John's messaged me, it's been about something new and relevant. Sometimes I think he can read my mind, which tells me he's really in tune to what his users want. Saying this, I'm content knowing that he's pushing for quality. He has to. There's a world of critics waiting for the release of this machine. There's competition too, so John has to get it right. He's got obstacles to overcome, decisions to make, and other people he has to wait on. If he could, I'm sure he'd like everything done in a snap. I won't rush a perfectionist. Delays are justified and John's credentials and track record speak for themselves. There is an investment in patience. In the end, I know that investment will shine brighter than anything out there. The last thing I want is another clone of what's already in the market. And out there, mediocrity can be had by the bushel.
stardust

Post by stardust »

Hi John, good idea to have a kind of diary here.

No need to have it daily.
It is enough to have a line every now and then just to see what is on the plate.

Thanks in advance stardust
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I am a happy camper.

Howard is a fierce warrior, and yes I still have the redwood. :lol:
I only got to see a Synthi100 in 1974. Since I was a senior in High School that year, the owner of Northland Music had it on display and demo'd by Buddy Marino. We couldn't touch it ! :x

After I purchased my CS80 there I became a preffered customer but the fierce Synthi100 was long gone.

I welcome Brotha' Man Howard aboard, as I KNOW he knows the sounds of the real FAT BASTARDS. The fact he is even interested gives me great big goose bumps.

If Hans Zimmer used his presets, would you beg him to make some for us? 35 years of synths, and not allowing his name to be associated with that desktop synth Blofeld shows his heart is pure.

I don't care how long it takes, and as a matter of fact, since the dollar is getting worse and worse, I will make it a public record. I am sending in extra money, because this will be the best synth I ever purchased, and I have had a few myself.

FUCKIN' A JB & HOWARD............Take whatever time necessary. Could you beg Howard to make a few presets for 5.0.8 ? :D
Ankyu......Ankyuvarymush.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

SepticStudio wrote:Not to be a killjoy of some sort, but if the Solaris isnt parked in my house in December 08 I must cancel the order I think, I told myself when I bought it, to wait until December. (actually OCT/NOV)...It will be very sad if it must be so, because I think it will be a megasynth.
Hi Septic,
Certainly you always have the right to cancel your order, as you know. I do understand that patience is growing short for some of you - we have been discussing options regarding what we can do to 'speed things along' for those who have been waiting. I will be sending out a private email of the status of things once I get back, and after that I think you will be better informed to make your decision.

cheers,
john b.
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

Hi John ,

I dont mean to rush you in any way :P

But I want to play the dang thing hehe
Sometimes one feels impatient at a given time.

It is still 3 months to December, I can wait for sure so long, I just dont hope it will be in March 09 or so.

I will buy a Moog Voyager this week, to still my hunger for the moment :P

Best regards.