Poll: Do you find a 88 key weighted keyboard tempting?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

Do you find a 88 key weighted keyboard tempting?

You may select 1 option

View results

ongoingtrend

Poll: Do you find a 88 key weighted keyboard tempting?

Post by ongoingtrend »

Seamonkey, thanks for the info :wink:

I hope this poll comes out right.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Only if it has polyaftertouch and a decent piano-weighted action.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

you're welcome. :D
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

In the future when MultiMode ( 4 part ) is available I would definately like one.
First rule of Government spending.....Why have one, when you can have 2 for twice the price..?... 8)
Here's an example of a live take doing 3 parts.
The melody is only one finger and the comp is 2 or 3 fingers, and obviously the Bass is one, but even if I had a different bass split, which would only be 2 parts total, I could really scream...
I have Filter Panning across the preset so it gives a cool effect, and it also has the infamous Looping Envelope which creates the Filter Frequency crescendo when a note is sustained.
The bass is somewhat buried though as it's the same preset, so the mid's and high's kinda overpower it.
A seperate bass preset with some kind of FAT BASTARD sound would really stoke me.

So Yeah, I want a Solaris 88, the signature hardware, a rackmount and an XPander w/ LCD's.......ankyuvarymush.
Seriously, I'll be broke after the first and an 88, but being surrounded by Solaris's would be better than waking up at the Bunny Ranch in Carson City..... :roll: .....ankyu.

http://forums.planetz.com/download/file.php?id=4578
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

If the Solaris was a workstation there'd be no way I'd want it without a big, weighted keyboard.

Since I already have a nice rompler/workstation I've got that base covered. The raison d'etre of the Solaris is more along the lines of "ultimate programmer's/sound designer's synth" - a nice companion piece to a workstation but not a replacement for one. ;)
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
urge

Post by urge »

I agree with Carbon. The Solaris appeals to me because of the synth engine and performance features. The 88 note controller slot is already held down in my studio by the Kurz Midiboard + other devices that add to the controller aspect ( expressionmate, strummer etc.) The cost in combining the Solaris engine with the controller interfaces to the end user would be huge; I just don't see a market for it.
stardust

Post by stardust »

A synth.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

urge wrote: The Solaris appeals to me because of the synth engine and performance features. The 88 note controller slot is already held down in my studio by the Kurz Midiboard + other devices
I have a vast space just above my MIDIBoard waiting for the Solaris. JB knows how important PolyAT response is to me.....!
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

See, I really get sick of workstations. Workstations do nothing well and are severely outclassed by software; most people are using computers now for that side of things. Likewise Romplers; those can be in racks for all I care, my XV lives in a rack, all the stuff in my Trinity could easily be in a rack.

But the synths? I want to PLAY them. I want them right in front of me, direct control. Synth character remains unique, samplers and romplers get outdated quickly. I'd rather pay the big money for a synth with the keys and interface I want, and have the space and cost savings of rackmount for the stuff I'll never tweak, the JV/XV/Trinity sounds.

I've never usefully used the sequencer, HDR or other features on my Trinity. I think people buy 88 key workstations because that's what they're offered, not because they feel a pressing need to have all these crude tools in one box.
Writer, photographer, musician, goth.
Rehabilitated collector, car nut and geek.

Studio: Moog Voyager+VX+CP, V-Synth XT, Trinity Pro X V3, XV3080, Virus Indigo 2, Inpulse One. X-Station for noodling.
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

marzzz wrote:Only if it has polyaftertouch and a decent piano-weighted action.
PolyAT would be great but is insanely expensive. Graded piano keybed is essential, but so little uses PolyAT effectively that I don't care.

Studio: Moog Voyager+VX+CP, V-Synth XT, Trinity Pro X V3, XV3080, Virus Indigo 2, Inpulse One. X-Station for noodling.
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

Guess what. My house just sold...

stardust

Post by stardust »

RichardKC6 wrote:See, I really get sick of workstations. Workstations do nothing well and are severely outclassed by software; most people are using computers now for that side of things. Likewise Romplers; those can be in racks for all I care, my XV lives in a rack, all the stuff in my Trinity could easily be in a rack.

But the synths? I want to PLAY them. I want them right in front of me, direct control. Synth character remains unique, samplers and romplers get outdated quickly. I'd rather pay the big money for a synth with the keys and interface I want, and have the space and cost savings of rackmount for the stuff I'll never tweak, the JV/XV/Trinity sounds.

I've never usefully used the sequencer, HDR or other features on my Trinity. I think people buy 88 key workstations because that's what they're offered, not because they feel a pressing need to have all these crude tools in one box.
couldn't agree more.