Tutorial videos

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Vimeo is having a slight problem generating a thumbnail for the videos, so it either shows a black box or several color bars, but I was able to watch all videos from my computer, even with these issues. Perhaps give it a few more tries?
-john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

New video on VCAs, Envelope Generators, and LFOs is up now.
-jb
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

Thanks john. I was able to get all the videos to work but it takes a minute or so to load up (DSL here), so one just has to wait a bit and nirvana awaits you. :)
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

Thanks for the additional videos John. The filters sound awesome! Well as much as one can get from the audio. The sound of your voice is much better on these also. Can't wait to get my Solaris!
sjones

Post by sjones »

High res pictures from my videos can be found here:

http://redmartian.com/solaris/pictures
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

great videos, those encoders seem to do their job well.

I will be happy to put up some nice sounds into the database when I get the machine :)

I am mostly into soundscape/elektro "den haag style"/soundscores and just plain over the top tube gear mass destruction boombeats.

I think I am in a other style than the most that have bought the machine, so my sounds maybe some kinde different than the ones inside the machine.

I always patch my own sounds never use presets orso, but I made the drumkits for the spectralis for supporting the sales and I will probably do also for the Solaris :)

Keep it up John, good stuff
[url]http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio[/url] or
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

New video posted showing center graphics display use, Amplitude Modulation sections (AM1/2).
-john b.

p.s. should I be putting these in reverse order on the page, so that the newest one always appears at the top?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Now posted: Vector Mixers, Looping Envelope, & Global pages so far (Global isn't completely coded yet). Ten videos so far....
-john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi all,

I just heard from Vimeo that they don't allow any commerical use of their site, so I will be moving the videos to YouTube for a short time, until we get a video palyer set up right here on our own.

Here's the message I received this morning:
Hi John,

It gives me no joy to send you this message, as I am a huge synthesizer fan myself, and it looks like you have created a really interesting instrument, but Vimeo is for personal, noncommercial use only. We consider uploading tutorial videos for products that you sell to be using Vimeo as a business tool, which is commercial use.

Please let me know how long you need to move this content to another web host. I usually recommend Wistia.com . I don't want to break your website by removing the videos before you have a chance to make other arrangements. We will refund your purchase of Vimeo Plus if you need us to.

Thanks and sorry,

dalas verdugo
Community Director
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Two more videos have been posted - The Effects (FX) section, and the Arpeggiator & Step Sequencer section.

Because I wanted these videos to be brief, I didn't get into explaining how the step sequencer's 4 rows are assigned, but if you look at the second video where I'm describing the mod matrix details (Oscillator extras and modulation), or in any of the other videos where I'm showing the modulation sources, you will see Seq A, Seq B, Seq C, and Seq D as Mod Sources. If you want the step value to equal semitones, you have to put the mod amount in the Mod Matrix up full, at 120.00 semitones. This then makes each value in the step sequencer a semitone value. Less mod amounts will give you smaller pitch deviations, of course, and for Shape, a mod amount of 100% will drive a 50% pulse wave to its 'edges' with a +/- 60 value in the step sequencer.
-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Nice Videos JB.
That's too bad about Vimeo.
I know the feeling. I've been 86'd out of strip clubs all over Vegas, only Vimeo seems way more polite and considerate.
It seems like the first videos are still up and running.

Good Luck @ Messe.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
BF

Post by BF »

I don't know if this is a result of changing from viemo, but currently (for me at least) the Solaris-Vector Mixers video is playing the Solaris-graphics display area, AM sections video. The vector video is still accessible through the 'film strip' view shown at the end of a video's play.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Thanks,
OK, it's fixed now.
john b.