Solaris looks and sounds amazing!

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Arstein

Post by Arstein »

I totally agree with all of you, the Solaris is much more than a VA-machine. That wasn't my point anyway. So far from the samples I've heard, the sound is very musical, detailed and dynamic, that's what truly matters.
As others here mentioned, all the features now included, like seperate osc glide rates and so on, is gonna make this one great synth.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

Up till now I haven't heard a demo that was really good - they weren't crap but not something to die for. YMMV as always.

I am sure that once people get the Solaris, they will start making Moog and SCI sounds and everyone will complain soon afterwards about not sounding close.

I don't think that the Solaris would replace either the Andromeda or the Omega 8 - I am sure that there's a sonic overlap (as with most synths) but I would never sell the A6 in favor of the Solaris.

What I do expect to hear from the Solaris is something DIFFERENT.
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

yeah something between a DSI polyevolver and a Clavia G2 would be nice :)

For moog sounds, I got moog :)
[url]http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio[/url] or
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

And my point is that a synth needs to sound good, and the way I personally define good involves a certain quality to the sound, not particularly how that sound is made. When I first got my Andromeda, I still had an Access Virus B, and for certain sounds that were important to me the differences were actually pretty subtle. For a while I had a Yamaha CS-80, and was able to program CS-80 style patches on my Andromeda (I had one called "Van Jealous" which was a string patch) that were very close to the CS-80; Even now, I can use Logic's ES2 synth to get a particular type of pad better than with the Omega, except for the aliasing in the higher registers.

Selling off some analogs is more with regard to simplifying my studio- they sound great, but are not completely necessary for what I am trying to do. Everyone's needs are different, I have heard the more pure analog purists complain the Andromeda doesn't sound "analog;" there was also a famous review of the Omega 8 in Sound on Sound magazine (UK) where the Omega was compared unfavorably to VA!

As my brother says with annoying frequency, "it's all good!"