WAV and Akai sample playback

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
seamonkey

WAV and Akai sample playback

Post by seamonkey »

I know this question was touched on briefly as a result of a member's question regarding loading WAV samples, and your response was, we will be using a CF card. This is a great idea, for some reason I thought they would be imported using USB.

Can you briefly explain this process and do you know what CF card will be compatible? also, as far as the Akai sample library, which one will be compatible?

thank you

I'm going to be redundant and suggest this in the FAQ section as well. :)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The final implementation of sample loading has not been fully coded yet. Here's where we are at:

Initially, I planned to make it the same as the plug-in, where you can only load a single sample into the Oscillator (not a multisample 'map' of samples). The user would load these samples via a computer, dragging them into the Samples folder on the CF card that is being used for the Solaris. You would, however, need to rename the samples, so that they had a numerically ascending order, and so this would require some additional effort.

We decided it would be best if we could provide a software tool that would arrange samples in such a way to eliminate this extra work, so that you would basically 'import' samples into a certain Solaris structure, and then these would be more immediately useable from the CF card. Any .wav or .s files could be used. We also wanted to consider if we could make something that would provide a sample map, in the case of a set of drum samples, for example, mapped across the key range.

While we were discussing this, we were contacted by a 3rd party source, who wanted to provide a sample library for the Solaris. They have requested a way to protect the sample file structure from being pirated, so we are now looking into the additional structure needed to provide this.

re: CF card type - any CF card should work, and you don't need a large card. The preset data storage doesn't take much space, and the sample memory is 32MB, so, even with a 256MB CF card, you'd have room for at least 7 complete sample sets. (The Solaris can load any sample set automatically from the CF card; you just set this system command to do so on power-up.)

I will be able to tell you more detail after my trip to Germany next week. We should have all the details decided by the end of my stay there (28 Feb.).

-john b.