What's the first thing you are going to do with your Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
cornutt

What's the first thing you are going to do with your Solaris

Post by cornutt »

Aside from unpacking it and hooking it up, of course. I'm going to bang together a few patches, then I'm going to connect in some long-period delays and do a Frippertronics thing with it.
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

The moment I get mine, there will be a manic patch programming session followed by a probably-too-long multi track session of my noodling.

...and champagne! :D
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

I thnk i'm just gonna stare at the box for an hour in disbelief, then unpack it and probably stare at it for another hour while reading the manual. Then when I come back down to earth I'll fire it up and scan through the patches just to get a feel for it. :D

So excited!!
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I will send polyphonic aftertouch from the MIDIBoard to filters and VCA on some kind of OB pad patch....
urge

Post by urge »

That sounds like a great idea Marz...
I'll probably just go through each section to get used to the response. Play around with the ribbon a bit.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

I plan to audition the patches, do a quick review on MusicIndustryNewswire . com (my site, NOT a plug!); then work on creating two patch sets (see my other post about that). My first "paid" article was back in 1984, for Polyphony magazine (now Electronic Musician, when MIX bought it), where I did a review of the SCI-64 plug in module (hardware) that went into the back of the Commodore 64, and then I hooked that to my Prophet 600 (via MIDI), SCI Drumtracks (MIDI thru), and Pro One via the bass output from the drumtracks. That review was my first "real" journalism gig. Each time I get something truly "new" I get as excited about it now, as I did back then living in my first apartment, playing in my first band, and back when both myself and Eric Persing weighed about 90 lbs less than we each do now. :-)

You asked ;-) :wink:
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
qtuner

Post by qtuner »

I'm thinking youtube video. I kinda wanna brag about having one, but I think carbon might beat me to youtube because i'm in the second batch. I'm hoping to be the first owner on youtube.

For real tho, I'm going to spend the first two weeks working with it as much as possible just to make sure it is worth the investment. I have a really picky ear, and I wouldn't have ordered it if I didn't hear what i thought was the potential of really really good tone in the videos i've seen. I doubt mine will go back. In fact i've already sold my blofeld. I hope we're still on track for the estimated delivery.
galaxiesmerge

First Thing I will do qith My Solaris

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Write a great new song.
Write good music.

I've done a lot of film-work and album-work and other stuff.

This is one of MY instruments and I can personalize it and make it MINE.

So, I will be judged by however good I get to be with it.
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
sjones

Post by sjones »

I will probably finish up those 4 or 5 tunes I made with the prototype in 2008 and 2009. (Search 'solaris prototype demo' on youtube.com) I've had a spot free in one of my stands for it. It will also be my primary controller which will also permanently routed to my keyboardless Prophet T-8.
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

sjones wrote:I've had a spot free in one of my stands for it.
You too, huh? :D
It will also be my primary controller which will also permanently routed to my keyboardless Prophet T-8.

Lucky bastard. :P
Best Regards, James
--
sjones

Post by sjones »

Carbon111 wrote: You too, huh? :D
Yes, the Jupiter-6 is at Mike Perkowitz's house at the moment. With Europa is a great synth, but its not a good midi controller.
Lucky bastard. :P
Fortunate more like it. Plus I had dibs on it for 15 years, it would be great to have the Solaris as its controller since it was the only keyboardless Prophet T-8 that Sequential never made.

There are bastards, I'm not one of them James!
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

Fine. I'll be the bastard then - someone's gotta bear the burden. :twisted:

BTW - when are you coming by for more beer? :D
Best Regards, James
--
sjones

Post by sjones »

Carbon111 wrote:
BTW - when are you coming by for more beer? :D
Since we've hijacked the thread I can bring it back to the topic: I'll come by for more beer at the first practice of the John Bowen Solaris Band featuring two live action Solaris synthesizers. Though I wish I could get a cask of the lovely marriage of grape and time that your dad buried under the house for decades.
urge

Post by urge »

OK, I officially want an invite to the bash 8)
I'll take the Bastard label if it will get me into the band...
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I wonder if it would be asking too much if I can have the Solaris between my wife and I when we go to bed the first night it arrives. :D