Feedback Mechanisms

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
ScofieldKid

Feedback Mechanisms

Post by ScofieldKid »

Thought I would make a general query to clear up some questions I have on feedback posibilities in the synth. (Asking about mixer/filter/amp direct feedbacks here, not oscillator modulation.)

1. So I can feedback Filter1 output as in input sound source for Mixer1. If that's possible, how is that derived? Is it just output-of-filter1 = output-of-filter1 + prev-cycle?

2. If I can feedback AMP1 output as in input sound source for Mixer1, how is that different from doing the feedback from Filter1 directly?

3. Not sure if we have extra pairs of External Outputs yet. If we do, will we be able to jack, say ExtOut3 -> ExtIn1, ExtOut4 -> ExtIn2?

Thanks,
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Feedback Mechanisms

Post by John Bowen »

ScofieldKid wrote:1. So I can feedback Filter1 output as in input sound source for Mixer1. If that's possible, how is that derived? Is it just output-of-filter1 = output-of-filter1 + prev-cycle?
Yes, exactly.
2. If I can feedback AMP1 output as in input sound source for Mixer1, how is that different from doing the feedback from Filter1 directly?
Because the Amp has additional modeling for Linear, Logarithmic, or S-curve response to any control signals, plus there's a component of the Mini filter that causes a sort of overdrive that we removed from the filter and put in the VCA section, so that it could be applied to any of the filter types.
3. Not sure if we have extra pairs of External Outputs yet. If we do, will we be able to jack, say ExtOut3 -> ExtIn1, ExtOut4 -> ExtIn2?
If you mean you want to plug the physical outputs back into the physical inputs, then yes, you can certainly do that. (And we do have all 8 output jacks working.) But you don't need to do that if all you are wanting is to route the signal. Better to do this kind of external plugging if you want to use the outputs as a Send to an external FX or something, then bring it back in via the Ext Ins.
-John B.