Key Table display

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Key Table display

Post by John Bowen »

My most recent OS now has the Key Tables implemented. This is a screen shot showing Key Table 1 (KeyTb1):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaris_synth/4538159063/

We discussed several ways to handle editing these tables. At first, we were going to leave it to an external editor, but it struck me that we could just use the keyboard to select notes, use the data entry to put in a new value, and have the table interpolate between values. It may look a little confusing at first, but it's pretty easy to edit this way.
Please read the picture's Comments for a detailed explanation of what the parameters shown all mean.

-John B.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Ankyuvarymush......

Sorry, I am a moron about KeyTables and such.
Could you explain how I might use the Amplitude Modulation and Enveloper Follower.......am example would help me.

Thanks 4 Sharing..
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,
Sure thing! The AM sections allow processing of any 2 signals by basically multiplying them. One of the most common reference points for you would be Ring Modulation, where the result of this multiplication gives you the sum and difference of the 2 inputs. Here's a quote from wikipedia:
"Ring modulators frequency mix or heterodyne two waveforms, and output the sum and difference of the frequencies present in each waveform. This process of ring modulation produces a signal rich in partials, suitable for producing bell-like or otherwise metallic sounds. As well, neither the carrier nor the incoming signal are prominent in the outputs, and ideally, not at all."

(You can read more in the Operation section of the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulation ).

In addition to the Ring Mod algorithm, there are 3 others: Shift, Clip & Absolute. You can read what these do in the Solaris plug-in User Manual on page 15-16.

As for the Envelope Follower - this takes an input signal and creates an envelope control signal from it. It's how those old Mu-Tron "auto-wah" filter pedal effects work - you can plug in a guitar, and have a filter sweep up and back based on how loud you strum, etc. (see page 19 in the Solaris manual for more detail about the Env Follower).

Finally, the Key Tables allow you to alter the normal keyboard tracking, so instead of selecting Note as your Mod Source, you can select one of the Key Tables and have a 'customised' key tracking based on your particular needs to craft the sound across the keyboard.

-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Excellent.........I have never been really satisfied with KeyTracking.
It was a great start but it's like a global Filter restrictive in its use, but still useful sometimes.
I have been playing with your Self Multiplier all night and also using your shells to import the RDII Series Modules inside the Modular shell.
Very Nice stuff indeed.
Just practicing using your various tools and tricks in Solaris is preparing me for the Big Boy when it's time.
BTW.
I wish to buy the colored wheels and make new decisions since the design has changed a little more.
I used my EML-101 for the first time at the gig last week and the Silver Keyboard is difficult to read under the PAR Lamps.
I have used a KS88 for years now and was able to use Yellow Stick Tape and print out my MIDI CC assignments for easy viewing.
If I do go SIlve I will probably use this method again.
Even if it's black I will still probably use the yellow tape.
Yellow will not relfect the Gel colors of the 1000 watt PAR's where as SIlver and white making reading difficult as they reflect the Gel colors.
I am feverish to get patching on it.

Thanks CHief....
BTW could you pm me your #.
I lost my phone and would like to bust your balls a little before you leave.

Ciao/
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole