Sample Oscillator

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
scope4live

Sample Oscillator

Post by scope4live »

I am ready to start converting wav.'s from the STS Sampler to use in Solaris.
Are there any details I should know about....?
I am assuming that 16bit mono is the format needed, and I will loop them in STS.
Will the Sample Oscillator be 16bit mono...??

thanks

JAV
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Jimmy,
Yes, 16-bit mono files are correct. Best to save them out as .raw files, although it seems .wav files are also working. Since the raw format doesn't carry any specific data such as loop points, sample length, etc., you need to make note of these things. (Please refer to the SamplePool text file example I sent out to all pre-order customers recently.)

John B.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Jeez nothing is simple anymore.
Thank God I only need VOX, and some custom waveforms from Kyma.
I'll just pay somebody who understands all of the software lingo... :roll:

Ankyu.......

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Update to this for clarification:
You will want to have .wav files prepared, because these contain the sample data info like length and loop info. If you convert everything to .raw format, you will lose this info, and not have it for use.

With a beta version of Translator, I was able to take a folder of .wav files and automatically convert it all to the proper format for Solaris. This strips the .wav files of the data, and produces .raw versions of the sample data, and puts the stripped data into the SamplePool.txt file, creating a folder called Samples.

-John B.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Ankyu..............

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, I've been having some fun converting all the old Prophet 3000 files over to Solaris. There's a nice glockenspiel set I'm planning to use for the next instructional video (pre-order customers are getting some private instructional videos now). I'll post the files here as well, once we are delivering product.

To build the SamplePool text file, as I mentioned above, Garth at Chicken Systems has made a beta version of Translator that includes a 'Solaris SamplePool' option, and I am using it to convert these P-3000 files, as well as some other tests. AIFF and WAV files are converted with no problem; I haven't tried any other types yet.
-jb
Neutron

Re: Sample Oscillator

Post by Neutron »

Once it is "set in stone" the writers of Awave or something like that might be persuaded to add conversion and create the text file, if some solaris owners were to buy it, they convert to some pretty obscure things already.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Sample Oscillator

Post by John Bowen »

Sure, it's fine with me whoever wants to incorporate the specs into their application.
jb