EXPANSIONS & FUTURE UPGRADES I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

Would you pay for Expansion Packs?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:06 am

Do you prefer the community the provide new sounds?
14%
Do want an API for coding the algorithms and making open source?
14%
Don't care : Solaris is just fine the way it is.
29%
Yes - Pay for Expansion Packs!
43%

Total votes: 7

galaxiesmerge

EXPANSIONS & FUTURE UPGRADES I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Hi,

I am willing to pay for:

1) More oscillator types: FM Synthesis and Algorithm Pack - especially if it can import the old DX7 (and do twin, like DX-1) patches or the kinds of oscillators that the DK Synergy used (hey, that's an old z80 cpu ... I've got two of them and they still sound incredible ... imaging that at 96Khz ... It would be great). - here's a YouTube Synergy demo for those of you who might not know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAbY4c_a1g4

2) Filter Packs - like "Diode" filters (very nasal), CS-80 Filters (although I own a CS-80 it's nice to get the filter sound).

3) Algorithmic Synthesis Packs - like the Kevin Karplus and Alex Strong algorithm, or Physical Modeling synthesis packs.

I am also willing to pay for designer sound packs (for example, like Percussion Synthesis Pack). What I look forward to Solaris is great sound design, available upgrades or sound packs and libraries for the instrument.

It would be great to know what you think - what would you like? Do any one the categories I have listed sound appealing?
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
Fidgit

Post by Fidgit »

first let's wait until the solaris actually ships... :roll:
urge

Post by urge »

I really don't want the Solaris to be an "all in one" instrument. I tend to prefer excellence over quantity and no matter how good the coders are they won't be able to do everything at a higher standard that already exists. 2 DX7s will set you back a few hundred and will give you more options.
A few of the rarer types of synthesis might be nice ( Karplus etc) but the Solaris is already incredibly deep as it is; why over complicate things.
The community creating a library of patches is a great idea but doesn't require much beyond owners posting a link to a file.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

Fidgit wrote:first let's wait until the solaris actually ships... :roll:
+1
:roll:
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

You can get the Karplus Strong PhysMod Pluck stuff by white noise bursts into a Resonator or Tube Filter, and proper envenope/VCA tuning.
I already do it on the soft Solaris and the Modular synth from S|C.
http://forums.planetz.com/download/file.php?id=7416
Don't worry Brotha' Man Galaxiesmerge, you will have enough on the first release to keep you busy for a while.

I would suggest polishing up on Modular synthesis techniques as it will really help out when you are faced with the immense routings we can expect to see in Solaris.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole