Reviews

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
gridsleep

Reviews

Post by gridsleep »

Have there been any reviews of the Solaris? I keep searching but nothing shows up. I'm waiting in particular for SOS's take on it.
The Pentagon gets $2,000,000,000 a day. How much does your school get?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Reviews

Post by John Bowen »

No magazine has had a Solaris unit to review. Most likely the first reviews that will appear will be from one of the first pre-order customers, since they will get the first units. Only after all the pre-orders are filled will any unit find its way to a magazine reviewer.

jb
Fidgit

Post by Fidgit »

SOS review? :roll:

ain't that the magazine whose review ratings and findings have a direct correlation with the amount a manufacturer spends on ads in the magazine? :?
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Not really.
Arbiter chewed them out and almost pulled their ads becasue SOS gave the CME Controllers an honest review warning the people of possible problems...
They are the only mag other than Mix that I pay for a hard copy still....
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

I find SoS to be one of the more reputable ones too though I tend to subscribe for the online access as much as the throne room version....
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I buy them just to have something to read while I wait for lawyers.
I thought Doctors were bad, but at least they offer mags.
Lawyers make you wait much longer, and make you beg for water....

Movement

Post by Movement »

I like SoS, it's one of the few magazines that is still worth something IMO. Most of them went from 200 pages to 50 with tons of ads in the middle, but SoS actually still has content. It covers hardware, software, etc. Not a fan of the video stuff but whatever, it's still worth the subscription price.
Fidgit

Post by Fidgit »

alright alright. so let's see what SOS comes up with...
hopefully they won't complain about the lack of general MIDI. :P
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

The Black Eyed Peas sounded like General MIDI last night....... :twisted:

Yeah, the mag has changed over the years to accomodate the consumer market that's for sure.
But once they had a pair tween their legs...

Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

FYI,
as a long time music journalist (I wrote one of the very first MIDI sequencer reviews in the world; the first review of the SCI 64 cartridge for Commodore 64 plugged into my SCI Prophet 600 and SCI Drumtraks back in Polyphony magazine...before it was sold to MIX and became Electronic Musician), I will be doing a "same day" review of the Solaris once I get mine (in first batch of pre-paids), on the site my company publishes, MusicIndustryNewswire.com - (pardon the plug). I will post link to that here once it's live.

So, once that is live it will be one of the first de-facto reviews out there by an actual musician and journalist. So, stay tuned (or slightly detuned, if you prefer ;-0 ).

-Christopher S.
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

While not exactly a full review, I did send the voicing prototype to Carl Lofgren, who has done sound design for me in the past (for my Zarg Music plugins on the Scope platform), and he is publishing a blog of his experiences, which you can read here: http://www.plughugger.com/4/category/so ... ary/1.html
BF

Post by BF »

Any synth freak will start pushing and connecting things in the most perverted of ways. And so it should be
:lol:
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Make sure and check out the sound link at the bottom of part #2 of that plughugger blog. Some wickedly cool sound in there... :)