Solaris Module?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
n1nj4

Re: Solaris Module?

Post by n1nj4 »

HUROLURA wrote: So I suspect a desktop model of the SOLARIS would be arround $ 3000/3500 if the spec is just removing the keyboard, wheel and maybe the Ribbon but keep the rest.
with that in mind, I would estimate a Solaris 2 or 3u rack module, with one graphics display and limited I/O, to run around $2300.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

A Virus TI keyboard lists for $3460US, and sells for $3140; The desktop model lists for $2520, sells for $2290; Given that the Solaris is currently at $4K, I think it would be a pretty amazing job on JB's part if he can get a 3u desktop model out the door for under $3K.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

marzzz wrote:A Virus TI keyboard lists for $3460US, and sells for $3140; The desktop model lists for $2520, sells for $2290; Given that the Solaris is currently at $4K, I think it would be a pretty amazing job on JB's part if he can get a 3u desktop model out the door for under $3K.
As usual, marzzz is pretty much right on target...and I do appreciate everyone's interest in this, but I really have to say this is all very speculative (especially as I have no idea how many people would buy a Solaris module/rack/whatever for $3000), so let's get the keyboard finished and out there, and see how things go after that.
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

marzzz wrote:A Virus TI keyboard lists for $3460US, and sells for $3140; The desktop model lists for $2520, sells for $2290; Given that the Solaris is currently at $4K, I think it would be a pretty amazing job on JB's part if he can get a 3u desktop model out the door for under $3K.
The Virus TI desktop has all the same controls and I/O of the Keyboard version. If you are referring to a Solaris minus the keys, then sure, that pricing makes sense. A simple Solaris rack module with one screen and limited I/O should be significantly less.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

n1nj4 wrote:
HUROLURA wrote: So I suspect a desktop model of the SOLARIS would be arround $ 3000/3500 if the spec is just removing the keyboard, wheel and maybe the Ribbon but keep the rest.
with that in mind, I would estimate a Solaris 2 or 3u rack module, with one graphics display and limited I/O, to run around $2300.
The Solaris minus the keys would probably be limited to housing re-design which would limit the developpment cost to this part.
The keyboard to keyboardless price difference would probably be similar so a Solaris Deskstop would cost more than $3000 provided it can share the same electronics as the full keyboard SOLARIS.
The price difference would be quite similar to the price difference between TI keyboard and TI desktop.

Modifying the SOLARIS would lead to a hardware and software re-design and so significant develeppment cost.
The team would have to find an alternate way to handle the sound design.
So this would mean time and effort and a partially or totally different hardware/software depending on how modular the initial design was.
So the comparison point on Access Music range would be more the TI Snow model (similar physical rescaling).
Just keep in mind how long it was for access to launch the TI Snow after the TI (3 years) and you can imagine what the developpement effort was.
Also keep in mind that the TI Snow which cost 40% of the TI Keyboard or 60% of the TI desktop.
So if you evaluate the Keyless SOLARIS at a $3200 price, speculating the same price ratio would provide you a cutdown "Snow"-like minidesktop Solaris version to the $2000 floor.
To achieve this you should spare on DSP and expect 50% less power (as what is done on TI Snow), spare on IO and accept what is spared on the control elements part...
Question is if people would accept this type of product without a host computer based editor software which would still have to be designed.

So just let the SOLARIS start selling and see what would be next afterwards.
If the Solaris sale figures are significant enough, then evaluate the interest for a desktop keyboardless version maybe one year after.
Then if everything is still OK wait 3 years more to design the MiniDesktop Solaris for the masses...
CheerZ