Solaris Module?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
n1nj4

Solaris Module?

Post by n1nj4 »

I would love to see a rackable Solaris module with a form factor similar to the Origin module. Is it just me?
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris Module?

Post by John Bowen »

This would be with only 1 graphics display, then....correct?

jb
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

One large display with a knob configuration like the PPG Realizer meets Microwave XT could be cool, but I was thinking multiple screens. Maybe the smaller screens could be the size of the ones on the Nord G2 Modular? But either way, JB Solaris rack/desktop module? Yes, please! :D
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Isnt that kind of like an XITE-1 D with solaris plugin, and maybe a self customized MIDI controller (one with a display)

one like the virus TI sort of format, with all of the displays and knobs would be cool i guess, but it aint gonna happen if the circuit board is bigger than 16.5 or so inches long :) and still its going to be kind of tough to fit in!
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

A rack mount solaris would be pretty cool, but I can't see more than the one large display.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Marzzz is right - I'd probably only put in one display, since I'm sure most people are looking to have something less expensive. Just leaving off a keyboard doesn't save you much...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Neutron wrote:Isn't that kind of like an XITE-1 D with solaris plugin, ...
Uh, except the Solaris plugin is based on 12 year old code for the most part, and is not designed to take advantage of 96 kHz rate, so the sound quality is not as high, plus you don't get as much polyphony with the XITE-1 D and the Solaris plugin....
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

John Bowen wrote:Marzzz is right - I'd probably only put in one display, since I'm sure most people are looking to have something less expensive. Just leaving off a keyboard doesn't save you much...
One display works for me. I think a knobby layout like the Microwave XT or Origin would be the ticket.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

One display works for me. I think a knobby layout like the Microwave XT or Origin would be the ticket.
Not likely to happen....it would be more of a minimal layout.
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

John Bowen wrote:
Not likely to happen....it would be more of a minimal layout.
I'll take what I can get! Microwave II/Creamware Noah type layout, then? I can just whip up an iPad TouchOSC controller template and maybe a Mackie C4 controller template. :D
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

John Bowen wrote:
Neutron wrote:Isn't that kind of like an XITE-1 D with solaris plugin, ...
Uh, except the Solaris plugin is based on 12 year old code for the most part, and is not designed to take advantage of 96 kHz rate, so the sound quality is not as high, plus you don't get as much polyphony with the XITE-1 D and the Solaris plugin....
Now i know a few things i can see why that would never work, you need the memory card, and other things which are different. The other way around is probably not the same, maybe you could add DSP for a "even smaller than XITE-D" so people could connect to DAW and get a taste of scope plugs after permanent Solaris output.
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

Neutron wrote:maybe you could add DSP for a "even smaller than XITE-D" so people could connect to DAW and get a taste of scope plugs after permanent Solaris output.
I don't imagine blurring the lines between the two product lines is planned by JBSD or Sonic Core.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

if such a thing was ever made, it would need PC and OSx software, and someone to do it. it would have to be nice, not like those (ahem) things you can buy extra for programming DSI evolver etc.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Neutron wrote:...The other way around is probably not the same, maybe you could add DSP for a "even smaller than XITE-D" so people could connect to DAW and get a taste of scope plugs after permanent Solaris output.
Well, this is really not possible (and besides, the Solaris has more of the faster DSPs than the XITE-D, so it isn't "even smaller" in that regard!). It seems many people still don't understand the difference between a host computer-based system like Scope/XITE, and a self-contained, optimised dedicated system like the Solaris. There is a lot more to it than just saying, "Well, they both use DSPs".
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Neutron wrote:if such a thing was ever made, it would need PC and OSx software, and someone to do it. it would have to be nice, not like those (ahem) things you can buy extra for programming DSI evolver etc.
I vote for an iPad app!