What color do you prefer?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

What design do you like best?

You may select 1 option

View results

drxcm

Post by drxcm »

I think this is a good move. Ditch the olive for sure, creme / off white is MUCH better.

Also, regarding the endpieces, I can't help but think the slimmer endpieces with squared edges (as shown in the rendered pictures) look way better than the wider, rounded endpieces that the photos of the prototype show.

My vote would be for a dark synth with slim, squared off aluminum endpieces, just like in the render.. YUM.
aeon

Post by aeon »

I like the look of the lighter face with wood endpieces.

cheers,
Ian
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

It's too bad we can't all have our cake and eat it too, but it's great JB's given us a chance to voice our opinions. I actually like the darker version without the wood ends (with the wider ends as currently appears at the top of the front page). The wider ends appear to frame the machine better for me, thus also making then entire synth look a bit more robust. Wood ears aren't bad. They give the synth an elegant and classic look, but I see the Solaris in a kinda "futuristic" light. I'm not too crazy about an olive version but, then again, I haven't seen it, so I can't say. I'm okay with silver. Cream or off-white could work too. I'd have to see them to have a better opinion. I'm all for black! I wish there could be two final versions ( a light one and a dark one) with removeable wood ends to satisfy everyone. I do agree with the Solaris logo looking a bit plain/incomplete (?). It needs a fuller graphic or maybe an additional colour(s). If I could make 2 wishes, it'd be that the pitch and mod wheels lit up like on the PolyEvolver and Minimoog Voyager selects to the same colour as the displays... and that there could be a Solaris logo on the back panel (where the wires are) that lit up, like on the Access Virus TI. It'd be great to have signature versions on the first few releases. I can always wish... As it is, the Solaris is already shaping up to be more than I hoped for. Keep it up JB! Stick to your dream. We're all behind ya. 8)
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I originally ordered the dark color with wood ends but the more I see the light colored version the more I like it, it seems fresh new and bold looking. I'm going to change my order to the light color once John gets back, hopefully with a lot of new customer orders. :D

I agree with Jackal, we're all behind you John.
rhodeschroma

Post by rhodeschroma »

I ordered a white with wood end caps. As someone else said, and I agree, I like the OB vibe (esp if John is going to go with the cream/off whites he's mentioned in lieu of the olive.)
vince66

Post by vince66 »

Me too, I originally ordered white with wood but after seeing the vids and pics from NAMM 08 that blue panel and the wood ends just did something to me.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

drxcm wrote:I think this is a good move. Ditch the olive for sure, creme / off white is MUCH better.

Also, regarding the endpieces, I can't help but think the slimmer endpieces with squared edges (as shown in the rendered pictures) look way better than the wider, rounded endpieces that the photos of the prototype show.

My vote would be for a dark synth with slim, squared off aluminum endpieces, just like in the render.. YUM.
Hi All,
For those who like the lighter case color - would a creme or off-white similar the Arturia Origin be your choice?

Also, if you can see any of the pictures from the recent Frankfurt Messe, the unit I'm demo'ing on is the darker case with those slimmer square-edge endcaps. It's still that sort of blue-grey look, and we are going to have another one done in basic black, just to check it.

I've also decided to use a different knob cap, so...hopefully, you'll all like the end results!

cheers,
john b.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

hi John,

for the lighter case, the color of the Arturia Origin would be sweet! What type of knob cap are you switching to?
drxcm

Post by drxcm »

John Bowen wrote:Also, if you can see any of the pictures from the recent Frankfurt Messe, the unit I'm demo'ing on is the darker case with those slimmer square-edge endcaps. It's still that sort of blue-grey look, and we are going to have another one done in basic black, just to check it.

I've also decided to use a different knob cap, so...hopefully, you'll all like the end results!

cheers,
john b.
Great looking machine too, I love the squarer ends, definitely classy!
All black may look quite nice, but the blue already looks great.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

John Bowen wrote: Hi All,
For those who like the lighter case color - would a creme or off-white similar the Arturia Origin be your choice?

Also, if you can see any of the pictures from the recent Frankfurt Messe, the unit I'm demo'ing on is the darker case with those slimmer square-edge endcaps. It's still that sort of blue-grey look, and we are going to have another one done in basic black, just to check it.

cheers,
john b.
I think cream or off white similar to Origin would look awesome.
As far as the darker one goes I think the present color is very nice, in fact I would call it sophisticated.
I think Black has been done so many times it won't do the Solaris justice.
I'm all for changing the knobs. I think I know what type you are thinking about. :D
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

I did originally order the dark version with wooden panels, like an Oberheim Matrix-12.

But, now I'm getting to think the light face with wood endpieces is better, because it doesn't look like 'just an other old-time synthesizer'. Seamonkey said it better: 'I think Black has been done so many times it won't do the Solaris justice.'

My current favourite is this: http://www.johnbowen.com/images/closeups/IMG_4013.jpg

I thnk the cream panel is better in dark and also in a normal room lighting.

Best wishes,
Tiitu.

PS. As a curiosity, how about carved wood panels like in an exclusive riffle? That would certainly look expensive, and I would be willingto pay for it. Maybe you could even patent that, because I haven't seen any keyboards with that kind of extra - forgetting the oldest pianos and organs.
Last edited by Tiitu on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

I ordered the olive (light) version, with cherry wood sides. I have always thought that wood sides add a real touch of class, and a mid-shade cherry wood shows that beautiful graining so well. As far as the light color, I feel that it looks good while not looking like most other keyboards. And it will look great next to my Anniversary blue illuminated cherry Voyager !!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Tiitu wrote:PS. As a curiosity, how about carved wood panels like in an exclusive riffle? That would certainly look expensive, and I would be willing to pay for it.
Do you mean something special like this photoshopped picture I received the other day?

Last edited by John Bowen on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Interesting 4 Sure,

But I hope the Olive tinted version is still coming.

My Yosemite Redwood sides will be installed after the fact. :lol:

JV
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Yes. Maybe some wood carving could be adapted to the wood panels:

http://www.christianbuehner.de/westpoint.jpg

It would be nice to have an instrument that also looks a little more artistic than the typical box synths, but maybe not this much and with this particular type of figures, but something a little in that direction, which could make it a masterpiece of art also externally, and delicate to own.

... You'll find a whole village in Germany specialized in wood carving. The name of the quite interesting town is Oberammergau and it is located in Bavaria.
Last edited by Tiitu on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.