What color do you prefer?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

What design do you like best?

You may select 1 option

View results

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

midiwhale wrote: So, I think the only sensible choice is to have end cheek options, and end cheeks that third parties can build. That way you can "personalise" your keyboard (and buy replacement end cheeks if they get damaged).
Funny you should say that, as I also had this in mind, and in fact, I've already had some discussions with a wood supplier who is interested in providing custom end panels from a selection of woods. If so, I would post a page showing the selection of wood types, and then you could specify your choice. This way one could have a more customised instrument.
The only thing is that the cost would run a little bit more....

It does seem that the overall vote, no matter which color of case, is to have wood sides, not aluminium, which will make things easier for production.

-john b.
Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black »

I'm one of the few who would like the aluminum option.I know i'm the minorty on this one but the aluminum seem's more sleek and robust "sorry i grew up with metal and plastic looking synths" i fall in the middle i like as much control panel information possible knobs,slider's in a dark modern looking casing.
B787

Post by B787 »

Personally once i have one on my work desk i'm happy......but really i love the lighter colour w/ wooden ends, it has a more classic, and i think it maybe easier to see the labels in less lighted situations....only my 2 cents

cheers
Demokid

Post by Demokid »

Hi!

I’m woteing for a dark panel and aluminum side’s ála Jupiter-8 and white screen print, much easier to see in a dark studio or on stage. Blue and purple buttons like the Jupiter-6 and knobs like the Prophet~5. I would go for another colour on the LED's. I have blue LED's on the PEK and thay are really disturbing when edeting or playing, whey are to bright.

Kind regards
Demokid
Gear: Andromeda A6, Minimoog Model D (midi), Voyager AE, Oberheim OB8, Roland Jupiter-8 (midi), Prophet~5 Rev3.3(midi), Pro~One, PolyEvolver Keyboard, Prophet~08, Synthesizers.com custom Studio-44, MS20, Polivoks
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hello everyone!

Please have a look here for some additional renditions of the side panels:

http://www.johnbowen.com/closeups2.html

-john b.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

I think I would dash for the fourth one from the top: dark wood sides with light panel :shock:

It's now "just" a question of waiting for the end-of-the-year bonus :wink:
"american way of life" is now based on "Petrol against food" !!!
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

I've just cast my vote for the dark panel with aluminum sides. This configuration is the one that jumped out at me when I first saw pics from Musikmesse, and it's still the one I prefer now. However, I think part of this has to do with the fact that I don't like the colour of those wood panels. If there were options for different woods, in particular something darker, like cherry or mahogany, I think I could be quite satisfied with that. In the end, if aluminum is going to drive up construction costs more than a selection of different wood panels, then I'm all for the 'natural' look.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

I like the look of the olive with aluminum. It would be unique in my studio. The anthracite with wood reminds me of my Obxa.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

lotus-eater wrote:If there were options for different woods, in particular something darker, like cherry or mahogany, I think I could be quite satisfied with that.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was thinking of making an arrangement with a 3rd party woodworker to provide custom wood choices for the side panels. I think this way, you could get closer to what you would want.

cheers,
John B.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi All,

We are thinking now to make some change in these 2 contrasting colors. The olive color is hard to represent in the photos, but I'm moving away from it, thinking a lighter color (creme or off-white) would be better. Also, the darker one we may move closer to a black than the bluish tone you see in the photos.

Just to update everyone interested...

cheers,
john b.
Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black »

+1 for going darker, black always looks classy on synths.
NuSkoolTone

Post by NuSkoolTone »

John Bowen wrote:Hi All,

We are thinking now to make some change in these 2 contrasting colors. The olive color is hard to represent in the photos, but I'm moving away from it, thinking a lighter color (creme or off-white) would be better. Also, the darker one we may move closer to a black than the bluish tone you see in the photos.

Just to update everyone interested...

cheers,
john b.
Awww.. say it ain't so!

I kinda dug the Dark Blue with the Wood panels. Kind of an Oberheim vibe!

The thinner panels is cool though, slim and trim with class is the way to go. Of course assuming the wood isn't particle board that will look like dung if it gets chipped!
stardust

Post by stardust »

dark with wooden sides....
///OSS

Post by ///OSS »

I like the contrast of the dark one with the white fonts...makes it easy to read....the whitish one seems a little flush and the the secondary functions seem a little lost....

contrast is a good thing...

now looks wise...that white one looks amazing, the black one would be a bit more generic...but I believe functionality over aesthetics is important....thats why i like the wood and silver panels on the side to give it a modern or old school touch depending on the user but id go for black face....
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

I don't like the olive with or without wooden caps, to all the people I showed pictures of it, their comments were very... discouraging.

I would choose a very dark blue color (almost as the one available), white LCDs, white LEDs, white lines and white aluminium caps.

I voted for dark with aluminium caps.

Btw, none of these configurations has anything to do with the name.. Whatever..