What color do you prefer?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris

What design do you like best?

You may select 1 option

View results

valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

Walnut is such a beautiful wood with a lot of depth, but I wonder if it matches the current grey/blue's finish without adding a bit of pearl to it. The Walnut is definately the best match as far as the shade of color goes, it's just the lustre that throws it off a bit.

The Ash seems a bit light, but it might be a good match for the new lighter color. Hard to tell without seeing the newer color though.

I think the Maple's grain overall has the best 'feel' in those shots although it's a bit more pedestrian than Maple/Ash as far as woods go, and it could be stained a touch darker.

Also fwiw I think the rubberized knobs seem to fit the current front panel better. First because the S.C-esque knobs make a busy surface seem even busier. And second because they're an obvious reference to the Sequential Circuits heritage, obviously why Dave Smith chose them. It's not a bad reference point by any means, it's just that your baby goes so much further than just harkening back to your time at S.C. and already has a heritage of its own among Scope circles. (Also I might add that the silver tops somehow remind of me of the 80's pong/odyssey consoles and sticky backed wood laminate as well, but that's more of a personal point of reference and not a knock at the Prophet'08)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

valis wrote:...Also fwiw I think the rubberized knobs seem to fit the current front panel better. First because the S.C-esque knobs make a busy surface seem even busier. And second because they're an obvious reference to the Sequential Circuits heritage, obviously why Dave Smith chose them.
Yes, I actually prefer the feel of the rubberized knobs in use - I just wanted to see how it would look with a bit more 'shiny' to it. Dave said he got the knobs from the same company that made the original Prophet 5 knobs (which are a bit bigger, of course), and so it was an obvious tie-in.
I still may look into knobs that have a flange on the bottom, as those give a certain feel I like as well (although they are a bit uglier to me).

-john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I wanted to make a note regarding these wood panels:
At the moment, they are optional panels that customers could order from synthwood.com. I have as yet to receive the final wood panels they plan to use in Germany. I'm not sure how the optional thing will work best - if the re-engineered side panel design allows for easy user access, then one could just order things from synthwood.com separately, and mount them yourself. Alternately, I could get the end caps you request from synthwood and have them installed prior to shipping, either here or in Germany. It will also depend on final costs for panels from Germany versus the synthwood ones (and the Euro/Dollar ratio definitely comes into play there).

-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Just wanted to say that Solaris looks even better than the Matrix 12 or XPander.

It's gonna be a FAT BASTARD, and even a pretty one.

I'm still going w/ the Olive tint, and I'll take the Ash.

But the stained / Laquered Redwood is what I really want.

I was looking at the rough edges though and decided to remove the Ash when they come, and just match it with the Yosemite chunks w/ the same shape as the panels provided.

Since I perform for a bulk of my income, the most important feature to me are the large LCD's. Nobody's going to see the wood under 1000 watt PAR Lamps anyway. But we are all going to be proud of our synth, even if it's pink Balsawood panels. :roll:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Howard

Post by Howard »

Redwood's the one I like most so far :)
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

I don't like any of the walnut or maple woods. They are unpolished - maybe it's the lustre or something but they look really cheap and old. From the ones posted here, and given the blue-greyish panel I think the ash panels look best.

John, have you decided on the final color of the front panel? Do you think it's possible to see a rendering of the final Solaris - after all the modifications are done?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmmm, not sure how these look unpolished, or maybe what your definition of polished is. These have a linseed oil coating, and they look quite nice in person, I think...but obviously it's a very subjective thing.
You should have a chat with Stephen at http://www.synthwood.com about it, since his team provided these wood endcaps - perhaps clarify things some more.

As for the final colors or front panel rendering - we are not there yet. Certainly I will post something when ready.

regards,
john b.
SepticStudio

Post by SepticStudio »

Those enlighted Modwheels from synthwood are very nice, I ve got the blue ones in my Poly Evolver keyboard and they are very bright.
[url]http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio[/url] or
[url]http://septicunderground.blogspot.com/[/url] Genuine Underground Productions
sjones

Post by sjones »

I don't mean to speak out of turn and I apologize for joining the site so late but I wanted to address this question about the synthwood.com LED mod. I've talked with John in person about the mod a couple of times and while it doesn't seem like it will end up in the final design it is something that could be easily done on a case by case basis after market. We've already been doing these for other synths such as the DSI Prophet '08 and the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard. The kit would be self installable or the wheel assembly could be sent to us for modification. The kit includes the following parts: two clear acrylic wheels with a frosted edge, a pair of set screws, centering mechanism and the RGB LED PCB. Each wheel can be independently illuminated in Red, Green, Blue, Violet, Yellow, Aqua or White though I'm sure most people will set them to white as they match nicely with the Solaris LCD screens and other LEDs for the moment.
stardust

Post by stardust »

Hi, so if it is an option, than make it self installable. This is simply due to the fact that there is no use in shipping solaris cross the ocean and back for the mod. Thanks and let us see what John will bring along.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

welcome to the forum sjones, no apology necessary. :)

Thank you for the useful information regarding the options for adding your illuminated wheels to the Solaris. I've seen these quite a few times on matrixsynth and it's truly a beautiful addition to a synth.
Also thank you for creating and providing such creative options for synth owners who want to take the physical appearance of their synths to a new level.
sjones

Post by sjones »

stardust wrote:Hi, so if it is an option, than make it self installable. This is simply due to the fact that there is no use in shipping solaris cross the ocean and back for the mod. Thanks and let us see what John will bring along.
In the post I mentioned that you can just send the Solaris wheel assembly. There are four nuts holding it in and a small wiring harness with a detachable interconnect. The kit will be available both ways (self install or installed by us on your wheel box assembly). And of course, full details are pending any Solaris design changes.

Thank you for the welcome!
stardust

Post by stardust »

Oh so I missed the point.
Good news to have a self install kit asw ell.
thanks a lot.

and yes :) Welcome to the forum.