First production pieces

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

First production pieces

Post by John Bowen »

Here are 2 photos of the first actual production unit that I will be personally assembling this weekend: http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaris_sy ... 581625729/

Finally!
CA3080

Re: First production pieces

Post by CA3080 »

This is good news, indeed! I'm looking forward to making sounds with Solaris. :D

Currently I'm learning to use Arturia Origin. This far I've realized that its emulative capability is limited, at least regarding Minimoog emulation. Creamware Minimax ASB sounds a lot closer to a real Minimoog than Origin does. As Solaris has the Minimax filter, I'm hopeful Solaris will offer the same high quality sound. Origin is also limited in patching flexibility. Audio and control signals are not interchangeable. The only audio rate modulations I've found are Osc FM, Filter FM and Ring Mod (=AM). Oscillator shape (e.g. PWM) can't be modulated by an audio signal, only by control signals. To me, being used to the extremely flexible patching on Nord Modular G2, patching on Origin seems rather limited. On the other hand Origin does have some UI and MIDI control advantages over G2. Origin responds to poly-AT, but unfortunately this is currently unsmoothed and can sound harsh due to zipper noise artefacts. Origin implements two different polyphonic key assignment modes, Poly circular and Poly reset. The former is the standard assignment mode in most synthesizers, while the latter is meant to conserve voices for use in multi mode. Unfortunately Origin doesn't offer "poly retrigger", where a voice allocated to a certain note is reused if a new "Note On" message for the same note is received. From previous communications I've understood that this key assignment mode is not planned in Solaris at initial release, but I hope that it can be added in an update. Until Solaris arrives I'll keep exploring Origin. If Solaris is as powerful as I have reason to believe, I may very well be selling my Origin later this year.

Oops, sorry for the long rant about Origin. :oops:
qtuner

Post by qtuner »

John,

Congratulations. This is a big step. I'm excited.

Rick
urge

Post by urge »

The long and winding road......dada.....dada.
:) You must be feeling a huge sense of accomplishment John. Creating a dream.....truly amazing.
Looking forward to receiving mine. You going to drop us an email with shipping $ ? Figure you're going to be busy for the next week or so; so I'll check back in a week or so.