Announce when you receive your Solaris!

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
progrock1

Re: Announce when you receive your Solaris!

Post by progrock1 »

I received mine about a week ago as well. Beautifully built synth. Due to a mid-week gig and now family visiting, I have not had a time to play it much but I noticed the volume knob on mine to be a little wobbly as well. I also had my boot screen lock-up on the Waldorf page but don't know if this is a consistent pattern. I didn't notice any physical damage despite a good sized "bow" in the flat part of the cardboard case. Ran through some of the pre-sets quickly...beautiful rich sound. Complex synth for sure. Looking forward to digging in soon. Dan
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Congrats.
Your forum name most likely reflects the style you perform, and in that case this synth will bring home all of the Bacon.
Been gigging with mine live for a while now, and there's no equal to this synth.
Small things could use some fixing but there's nothing that can stop using this in a live venue.
I was getting a freeze when loading samples before. This could be fixed by rebooting, sometimes 3 x times.
Thankfully JB and the Team fixed this with an OS tweak, so I am a very happy camper.
Look forward to seeing all issues fixed in time, but not a single one of them will ever prevent me from performing, and the sound of this through my QSC 12s is stunning.

Cheerz
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

progrock1 wrote:I noticed the volume knob on mine to be a little wobbly as well.
Mine too.
I didn't notice any physical damage despite a good sized "bow" in the flat part of the cardboard case
Then you're lucky!
I still don't understand this bit. They make a synth which is perfect in any aspect, the most advanced digital synth of our time. Sounds amazing, gives you total freedom to go wherever you want - but pack it like this:

I don't get it. Sorry.
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

I just got my Solaris today. Couldn't be happier.
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

progrock1 wrote:I received mine about a week ago as well. ...8<... I also had my boot screen lock-up on the Waldorf page but don't know if this is a consistent pattern. Dan
I have experienced the same thing a few times. Usually rebooting two times in row gets you into a normal state. Last 5-6 times of turning the synth off/on booted normally.

Anyone experienced same? Has anyone suggested a fix/root cause?

Love the instrument and the sound - very nice.
plug

Post by plug »

It's finally here...the wait is over (for me at least). Have not had time to explore much of it, but I know where my weekend will go!
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

progrock1 wrote: I didn't notice any physical damage despite a good sized "bow" in the flat part of the cardboard case.
I think i now understand better why this "bow" in the flat part of the cardboard happend(s) to you and me too (and perhaps to other folks). I came across pictures of Solaris that were taken by customers from the former batch. Notice how both of them show 3 pieces of styrofoam (or whatever it is). One to the right, one to the left, and one in the middle:

When i received mine, it had only two pieces of styrofoam:

I wonder how many of you get yours with 2 pieces of styrofoam instead of 3.
I'm not sure what the guys over at sonic core were thinking, but i am sure about this: if you try to save on a piece of styrofoam - you're going to end up paying a lot more than you tried to save.
And to think all my problems with the Solaris could have been avoided by a simple piece of styrofoam, and perhaps a better piece of cardboard...

Sorry for the rant. Had to get it out of my system. I feel extremely frusturated...
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Mine also had two pieces instead of 3.
I'm luckier than you, it comes in good condition.
Perhaps they changed it after your midsaventure.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

No one got 3 pieces for this production run, Zahush. The supplier of the shipping material didn't provide the extra pieces this time, even though we asked.

Also, most everyone had complained about the shipping costs being so high with UPS, so we set up this contract with DHL. Obviously, it was less expensive for a reason (you do get what you pay for). I should have been more responsive with asking everyone whether or not they would pay the extra, and then ask Sonic Core to deal with it. (For cost comparisons - UPS to USA was about $300, whereas with DHL it was about $95.)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I used my box with 3 ribs for local gigs as the ATA Case from A & S Cases in Hollywood was too damn big and heavy, but a great case for 4 bones.
My recent gig bag is from Colrado Case Company, seems geograpical named companys' make good kit.
Anyways they have a great bag and they now have the dimensions.
Joystick protection and all.

DHL needs money, and they take the same time as the Brown guys.
My problem is I don't want my synth being re packed so many times just to save a few bucks.
Fly that son of a bitch to my house.
---- I got 3 cases for my Synth.

The Box w/ 3 x ribs, gig bag and ATA.
Just so nobody would steal my Solaris, I have a huge M Audio sticker covering up the name on the Panel.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

John Bowen wrote: Also, most everyone had complained about the shipping costs being so high with UPS, so we set up this contract with DHL. Obviously, it was less expensive for a reason (you do get what you pay for). I should have been more responsive with asking everyone whether or not they would pay the extra, and then ask Sonic Core to deal with it. (For cost comparisons - UPS to USA was about $300, whereas with DHL it was about $95.)
I'm not sure there's a difference between DHL and UPS. I think both can offer economy shippment - as well as private "to your doorstep" shippment. So it has more to do with which kind of shippment you choose (of course it costs accordingly).

The supplier of the shipping material didn't provide the extra pieces this time, even though we asked
That's unfortunate...
daveporter

Post by daveporter »

Hi. Dave Porter here... happily received my Solaris last week. Although I have to confess that I've been very fortunate to have had a loner from Bernard Wong available to me the past few months for some projects that I really wanted to use it on. Huge giant thanks to Bernard for that, and to John for all of the timely (if sometimes discouraging) updates on the production process. Very happy to support honest enthusiastic people making unique products, even if there are a few hiccups along the way.

Very pleased with the Solaris -- it's the first new hardware synth I've bought in quite a long time, and I look forward to digging in deeper now that I have my own machine. As great as the vintage recreations sound, I already own a lot of old synths so I'm personally less interested in emulations of those as I am in new and unique sounds and textures that I'm confident I can create with it.

My shipping box also showed up in very rough shape, and I had to pick it up myself from the post office, but thank goodness none the worse for it.

Cheers - Dave
wouter

Post by wouter »

Welcome to the club :)

Are you the composer for Breaking Bad?
daveporter

Post by daveporter »

wouter wrote:Welcome to the club :)

yes. pleased to be here. Dave
wouter

Post by wouter »

daveporter wrote:
wouter wrote:Welcome to the club :)

yes. pleased to be here. Dave
That is a fantastic TV series! I also liked the alternate versions of the intro tune that were played at the end of the program, very nice.

The Solaris is indeed very capable of producing new and unique sounds that do not sound like analogue emulations. Something like this:
https://soundcloud.com/insanic4/solaris-demo-1