Announce when you receive your Solaris!

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
epoxy2600

Re: Announce when you receive your Solaris!

Post by epoxy2600 »

I am super pleased to report that I received my white Solaris today! Bought it on December 10, 2007 and here it is finally on my doorstep October 25, 2011...and you know what? The wait was worth it! My first impressions out of the box were that the synth is gorgeous and the build quality is very high. But of course once I powered it up and had a few minutes to play, it didn't matter how it looked because it sounds AMAZING. Here are some unpacking pics...took them late at night so the lighting is bad, but hope you can sense the excitement I had opening this box. Can't remember the last time I was this thrilled to get a new synth.

To fellow pre-order customers waiting for your units, hope you have as much fun unpacking yours and powering it up the first time as I did!

Thanks John and all of the Solaris team... not only for making your dream synth a reality but for sharing that reality with me.
Now the fun REALLY begins.

Howie

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Oh man, that is soooo beautiful! Glad to see the white Solari are getting into people's hands. congrats!
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

OUUAAAHHH ! Cool man ! :D
Which sérial number have you ?
"switched on bach"
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

How exciting! I was happy to see all those white front panels on the rack in Germany! Enjoy you Solaris and post a demo if you can!
Everyone knows me as a guitar player!
epoxy2600

Post by epoxy2600 »

I was order #17, placed December 10, 2007. As for the serial number on my Solaris, there is NO sticker of any kind on the outside (unlike what appears to be a sticker on JimmyV's unit in the photos), but under the system info page on the main LCD I see "Serial 032dac5b". Might be that Sonic Core had their serial number system on their builds, but now that HMT is handling production the assignment system has changed...? I'm guessing either my unit turned out to be #32, or that some further deciphering of that code is necessary.

Howie
epoxy2600

Post by epoxy2600 »

Update: John saw my post above about not having a serial number sticker, and shot me an email saying that there indeed should have been one on the unit. So they are mailing me the sticker to apply myself. And guess what? Serial # 00017 after all! Thanks John!

Howie
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

Ok , just less 40 units to wait ! :mrgreen: Good Life solaris !
"switched on bach"
Movement

Post by Movement »

I'm guessing that embedded serial isn't related to your actual serial number of 17 at all. Bits 6-10 have 10001 in binary (17), but bit 11 is in use already so there's no way to encode more than 32 serial numbers in that location.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

epoxy2600 wrote:I am super pleased to report that I received my white Solaris today! Bought it on December 10, 2007 and here it is finally on my doorstep October 25, 2011...and you know what? The wait was worth it!
epoxy2600 ... thank you thank you for sharing. I think my unit will look identical to yours, and this is exactly the kind of warm and fuzzy I was hoping for in starting this thread to SEE what is happening during the trickle out period. I'm excited again, and now forced to figure out WHERE in my studio I will actually put the bad boy ... guess something is going into the closet :-)

So happy to see folks getting their units after so long (YAY JOHN!!!!) ... and super happy to see white ones headed out into the world. Looking forward to some YouTube vids at some point (I know I'm going to do one on my iPhone 4S, as that is so easy it's silly not to do one...) hearing the sounds in play. WOW, unboxing never looked so good.

I'm kind of punchy ... eating mex food and margaritas... dreaming of solaris ...
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I have been eating Chimichangas in Brown Enchilada sauce ( My Beaner bro next doors' wife threw a party for Jose and me today, we each get our retirements checks the same Friday every month ) and chugging Patron Margaritas.......Mi Estas Ma Tondo Pinchy Way...

Naturally I sleep for Solaris and have no gigs except for chosen Convention gigs and special weekenders, no more 6 nights a week for a while. Classic and Prog Rock has tortured me too long. Now I do Soalris music, which means I make a preset, than write a tune, and this synth makes anyone creative...

JBowen, MarcoPolo, Hummel and a few of Scarrs presets are great lessons if you dig through them.'
Solaris has the finest Ring Modulator I ever played, with the excessive routings, and CS80 quality, it's a Diamnond in the Rough.....

I didin't want anyone thinking I was rich so I have put an M Audio Decal over the Solaris logo, it look great.......
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Here’s a blog written by a new Solaris owner: http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

There are a few points needing correction or clarification (which I’ve sent him), but overall I think it will give a good feel for what all the Solaris can do.

One of the problems he mentions is with his velocity and aftertouch, and it reminds me to point out that one needs to make sure there are good values set for the Velocity and Aftertouch Tables (found on page 3 of the Home page group). I set the INIT patches to have useful values, so in general it shouldn’t be a problem.

Technically there should be no issues with either one, but you can always try to re-calibrate things if a problem continues. New users should check the User Guide for exact information on how to use the Calibration Menu (Appendix 6, page 59).

-john b.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

No more new owner since epoxy2600? :?:
BF

Post by BF »

John Bowen wrote:Here’s a blog written by a new Solaris owner: http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html
Wow, if Dave was #37 I should be in the pipes here shortly.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Dave was #18......

jb
sjones

Post by sjones »

Nice to see all the Solari with custom color wheels :)