How to load samples into Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

How to load samples into Solaris

Post by John Bowen »

For those of you who are working on creating your own set of samples for use in the Solaris, and/or just want to know how to load samples - as of v1.4.3 OS, the process has been changed from the manual and previous method:

Sample Load routine - Instead of loading samples from the System page, as we have done, now the loading is done within the Preset, on Home page 3, parameter named 'SmpPool'. Each preset can now store the sample pool being used. Then, if the user wants to have each preset automatically load the appropriate sample pool when selected, you can set the System page parameter 'LoadSamp' to On, and Save it there as part of the global init file. If this is set to Off, then the user must go to the Home page #3 and press Enter to load the pool. If several presets call up the same pool, the system checks and knows this, so you don't have to load again. Also, it can take quite some time to load the preset in this case. For example, to load the factory Glockenspiel pool takes about 6 seconds.
darkshine75011

Re: How to load samples into Solaris

Post by darkshine75011 »

Hi John

I'd like to know how to create a .txt file that goes with the wave file.
Is there a software to do that?
How many samples can I put on the keyboard? So, if there are 4 oscillators
I am limited to 4 samples, right?

Thank you in advance
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, currently each oscillator can hold a single sample, so with proper mapping done in the SamplePool text (.txt) file, you can have 4 samples playing across the keyboard. Eventually we will have a multisample object with editor.

The problem at the moment is how to find the information in your .wav file. THe information is in there, but right now the only simple solution I know of is to purchase Translator 6, which has an option to create a Solaris SamplePool in it. There may be other simpler editors in the future, but for now it’s Translator, or finding something that displays the data for you (loop start/end, sample length, root pitch, sample rate, etc.), and then you creating the text file by hand.
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

I'm looking for translate sample , look, what I find in Hardware Samplers :shock:
http://www.chickensys.com/translator/do ... rmats.html
John Bowen Solaris

Hardware Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Akai MESA 1 and 2 (.prg;.s3p)
Roland S-5x (source only)
Roland S-7x
Emu Emax II (source only)
Emu E3/ESi
Emu E4/EOS
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Kurzweil (.krz;.k25;.k26)
Yamaha A-3000/4000/5000 (non-proprietary only)
John Bowen Solaris <<<=========================================
Synclavier (Hi-Tech Edition only)
Fairlight (Hi-Tech Edition only)
Waveframe (Hi-Tech Edition only)
BerythaBeasley

Post by BerythaBeasley »

Cool helpful post helpful post John...Thanks.
rdorsche

Post by rdorsche »

I can get as far as creating a .raw formatted sample file, via Audacity or Amadeus Pro on OSX (10.12.6 at this writing).
However I can't figure out the sample length and by extension any loop points.
I'm only held up by the "sample length" variable here; the rest I can create by hand or guestimate.

EDIT: SOLVED, I figured out how to determine the sample length parameter using Audacity.

But are there any leads to a modern editor, that works in 2019, on OSX?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I’ve updated the free utilities from Subliminal Effects, since he is no longer hosting his Website. People can use the Sample Pooler to do what you’re asking:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16100&p=19354#p19354

Note that you don’t need to convert the .wav file to .raw - the utility requires a .wav file as the source.
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

On my Solaris, there is no 'SampImg’ parameter in the 'System' page, below "Transp." and left to "LoadOuts", it's just blank.
Turning the corresponding encoder does nothing.
Is there something to do?

Btw, the manual doesn't mention the 'SampImg' thing, it's only in the first post of this thread. The manual discusses the 'Enter' button without mentioning that a message "Press Enter" should appear, which makes the instructions quite obscure.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

If you're using version 1.4.3 or later, this has changed. There is now a parameter on page 3 of the Home section called SmpPool which is essentially what SampImg was. You can select a sample pool and load it by pressing Enter.
However, samples can now be made to load automatically when the preset is loaded. This is controlled by the LoadSamp parameter in the System section. When LoadSamp is On and a preset has its SmpPool set to a sample pool number, that sample pool will automatically load when the preset is loaded. Since larger samples can take a long time to load, you have the option to turn LoadSamp Off.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jim that was fast! I was just trying to find the link on the OS section! Here it is:

1) Sample Load routine - Instead of loading samples from the System page, as we have done, now the loading is done within the Preset, on Home page 3, parameter named 'SmpPool'. Each preset can now store the sample pool being used. Then, if the user wants to have each preset automatically load the appropriate sample pool when selected, you can set the System page parameter 'LoadSamp' to On, and Save it there as part of the global init file. If this is set to Off, then the user must go to the Home page #3 and press Enter to load the pool. If several presets call up the same pool, the system checks and knows this, so you don't have to load again. Also, it can take quite some time to load the preset in this case. For example, to load the factory Glockenspiel pool takes about 6 seconds.
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

Yes, it works, thanks for the fast answers!