How to load samples into Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

How to load samples into Solaris

Post by John Bowen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 pm

For those of you who are working on creating your own set of samples for use in the Solaris, I thought I’d repeat what I showed in the earlier tutorial videos regarding how to load sets of samples (which we are calling SamplePools) into the Solaris. Let’s quickly go over a few pointers:

1) The factory CF card comes with a folder in it labeled, ‘Samples’. Inside here you will find 9 glockenspiel samples and one harpsichord sample in .raw format, and two text files called SamplePool-001.txt and SamplePool-002.txt. These text files describe the name of the sample set, the number and name of each sample in the set, and various other aspects, such as root key, fine tuning, and low/high key mapping.

2) Any new SamplePool MUST be numbered in the next available ascending number, otherwise the Solaris will NOT recognize it! So, for the current factory CF card, one would need to create a SamplePool-003.txt to describe the next set of custom samples to be used. (You can, however, re-number the factory SamplePools, so that the glockenspiel would be numbered -003, and your new file -001, for example). Subsequent SamplePools would have to be -004, -005, -006, etc.

3) And finally, the SamplePools will not automatically load when you turn on the Solaris, or plug in the CF card! You must go to your SYSTEM soft key group (in the center graphics display), and activate the process by turning the lower leftmost knob (for the parameter labeled 'SampImg’). Once you turn the knob, you should see a message in the bottom line that says, “Press Enter to select image file.” You then press Enter, and the Solaris will go out to the CF card and look for any SamplePool text files in the Samples folder to load in the Sample Pool names. Once it has all of the names loaded from the card, you can turn the same lower left knob and now see a number and a name of each SamplePool that is on the card. Once you see the one you want to load, you press Enter again, and wait until the Solaris is finished loading the samples, at which point you should see the message, “Finished sample transfer...”.

4) To avoid any ‘accidental’ reloading of the SamplePool names and/or samples themselves, it’s best to move off of the SYSTEM screen to some other screen (you can go to the MIDI screens, or any other soft key group).

Now you can go to any Oscillator, select the WAV type, and you should be able to hear your loaded samples as you scroll through the Wave numbers.

That’s all there is to it! Please let me know if anyone needs more clarification about the process.

Cheers,
John B.

p.s. I forgot to add - the very first time you load a brand new sample pool into your Solaris, a special ‘map’ file is created from the SamplePool.txt file. This will take a little bit of time, depending on how many samples are in the Sample Pool, and you will find that, when trying to select the new pool, you will not see it immediately in the screen. You do need to attempt to select it, however, to tell the Solaris to ‘build’ the .map file. Once it’s done, you will have the SamplePool number available to load.

darkshine75011

Re: How to load samples into Solaris

Post by darkshine75011 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi John

I'd like to know how to create a .txt file that goes with the wave file.
Is there a software to do that?
How many samples can I put on the keyboard? So, if there are 4 oscillators
I am limited to 4 samples, right?

Thank you in advance

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Yes, currently each oscillator can hold a single sample, so with proper mapping done in the SamplePool text (.txt) file, you can have 4 samples playing across the keyboard. Eventually we will have a multisample object with editor.

The problem at the moment is how to find the information in your .wav file. THe information is in there, but right now the only simple solution I know of is to purchase Translator 6, which has an option to create a Solaris SamplePool in it. There may be other simpler editors in the future, but for now it’s Translator, or finding something that displays the data for you (loop start/end, sample length, root pitch, sample rate, etc.), and then you creating the text file by hand.

darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

I'm looking for translate sample , look, what I find in Hardware Samplers :shock:
http://www.chickensys.com/translator/do ... rmats.html
John Bowen Solaris

Hardware Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Akai MESA 1 and 2 (.prg;.s3p)
Roland S-5x (source only)
Roland S-7x
Emu Emax II (source only)
Emu E3/ESi
Emu E4/EOS
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Kurzweil (.krz;.k25;.k26)
Yamaha A-3000/4000/5000 (non-proprietary only)
John Bowen Solaris <<<=========================================
Synclavier (Hi-Tech Edition only)
Fairlight (Hi-Tech Edition only)
Waveframe (Hi-Tech Edition only)

Quartz

Post by Quartz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Super helpful post John. Thanks.