Polyphonic AT

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Neotrope

Polyphonic AT

Post by Neotrope »

I know many of us are chomping at the bit to get our Solaris (Solarii) once production resumes now that Germany's August holiday is over ... so, in the meantime thought it might be worth mentioning a really neat poly-at keyboard as possible alternative to the Vax77 some of us have or are considering as adjunct to Solaris (for poly aftertouch stuff...)

The new "coming soon" Rhodes RPC-1 for $1800 looks like it might be a really nice option.
Bigger than a breadbox, but smaller than normal Rhodes, ala:
http://www.rhodespiano.com/images/news/rhodes_RPC1.jpg
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Polyphonic AT

Post by John Bowen »

I would LOVE to have a PolyAT keyboard inside the Solaris. It’s just not happening at the moment with the standard keyboard suppliers (we use Fatar).
The Rhodes circuitry is a special custom design, and only Rhodes has the exclusive rights to use it. I’ll be very curious to see (and play) this new Rhodes product....thanks for posting!

john b.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Neotrope wrote: it might be worth mentioning a really neat poly-at keyboard as possible alternative to the Vax77 some of us have or are considering as adjunct to Solaris (for poly aftertouch stuff...)

The new "coming soon" Rhodes RPC-1 for $1800 looks like it might be a really nice option.
Bigger than a breadbox, but smaller than normal Rhodes, ala:
http://www.rhodespiano.com/images/news/rhodes_RPC1.jpg
Unfortunately, there has been no specific mention that the RPC-1 will have PolyAT capability. It may be that the specs have not been finalized and published yet, but I would want to make sure that it does have PolyAT.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

Hmm... buddy of mine was told at 'messe that it would have poly-at ... but you are correct, they have not yet specified that it will have that in either the press release we got here, or the promo stuff (slim as that info is). (doh... do I feel like a dummy ...)
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
galaxiesmerge

Re: Polyphonic AT / MidiBoard V3?

Post by galaxiesmerge »

I have the Continuum and also the Kurzweil MidiBoard V3.0 and Prophet-T8 --- can any of these be used to send Poly-AT to the Solaris (I am awaiting mine with excitement).

If Solaris responds to Poly-AT from a controller, then this would be really great.

Thanks!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, as previously mentioned, the Solaris can receive Poly AT. You just select it from the Mod Source list to wherever you want it to go (however, I think with the T8, you have to put it into Mode 4, which sends the aftertouch out on 4 consecutive MIDI channels).

JB
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Hi John,

The Continuum Fingerboard does the same thing - it sends out on 4 consecutive MIDI channels --- actually, it can sen on up to 16 consecutive midi channels because it treats each midi channel as a "voice" and sends out the monophonic pressure controller values. It does have a USB interface and I use it with the Kyma system --- I am hoping that a future update of SOLARIS would permit me to use the Continuum Fingerboard as well. Of course, with a good OSC driver over USB the SOLARIS should be able to handle most controllers.

Happy New Year :)
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy