Smoothest Filter Sweep

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
scope4live

Smoothest Filter Sweep

Post by scope4live »

Dear JB,
I am trying to get the sound where I can just play rhythmic choppy sounds, and have the Filter Sweep automated so I can play the muffly chunky stuff, which gets brighter and buzzier as the CFM is modulated.
I am using a Sine LFO and the trouble I am having is that I hear random unenevess instead of the sound producing the really smooth modulations.
I am trying low LFO rates 10%, with 100% Cutoff in the Filter section, have the EG set to 100 and Cutoff amount to Zero.
But I keep getting those little random jumps in the brightness. I even tried the Ramp LFO thinking it was better suiter, and got the same results.
Would using the ADSR to modulate instead of the LFO be better.....? But then that is UniPolar and I really want the effect of the LFO Retriggering being off, and acting like it's free running/looping.

Thanks for any help, this isn’t a Solaris problem, but rather an old moron trying to get hip enough to do one of these dancy/prancy type tunes....

Ankyu.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Smoothest Filter Sweep

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

There’s no reason the LFO would ‘jump' at all - and I’m not clear on what exactly you are hearing that you interpret as this. Best to send me the Preset and a short recording of how it’s being played, and what you think is the problem....

cheers,
john b.
scope4live

Re: Smoothest Filter Sweep

Post by scope4live »

I figured it out, Too much of the LFO amount modulating the cutoff. That suckers extra strong from being 96k I guess.
BTW the manual is great and to the point.

Ankyu
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole