D50 Tricks

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
scope4live

D50 Tricks

Post by scope4live »

Anyone whoever played the old Roland D50 synth knows too well the grungy dirty lush sounds it made.
I tried to redo those sounds over the years with samplers, etc. to no avail.
But since Solaris is basically a 4 part synth, just like the D50 I decided to make a few sorely missed presets from the D50.
Having Waldorf, VS and MM Osc. is all I needed. With a really nice vocal sample it could be even better, but for now I have the D50 dialed in.
In the VCA Section the source options are the Filter of the InsFX.
Use the Insert FX and Bit Crusher, but on the Bellish tones use the Filter as a Source with high resonance settings and Voila! - you have a great D50 with the option to clean it up or not.
I actually feel sorry for anyone who doesn't own a Solaris, as they don't know what they're missing..

Thanks Again JB for the synth of the century...
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
bgarlow

Re: D50 Tricks

Post by bgarlow »

Hey, Jimmy, any chance of you posting some of your presets in the Preset section?

Cheers,
Brent
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Yeah, it does seem like we have most of the D50 pieces. I.E. wave shapes + oscillators.

Kind of relatedly, I always loved the Prophet VS so I'm going to start playing around with that
a bit tonight. Vector OSC and Joystick.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Check back for presets on occassion, I am halfway finished.
I like having Full Banks instead of blank spaces.
I have so many I am proud of though, and I never really had that kind of self esteem on my Oberheims or CS80.
Solaris just has so many routings and modulations the more you play with it, the better everything becomes.

bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Sweet, I'm looking forward to checking them out. Most of my Solaris time has been testing things while I was working on the manual. I'm just now getting a chance to do some tweaking, and man is it fun. I'll post something if I come up with anything good.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I tell you what - I will post some of the ones I am working on but keep in mind these are not ready for performance yet as I haven't assigned the buttons and knobs, but most presets use the Ribbon, AT and Mod Wheel.
With any Ribbon tricks you'll notice tunings from left to right, but some like the Waldorf Lead need to be started at the top (right) and slowly moved to the very furthest left (bottom).

Check back here on Tuesday.
Some presets will sound bad because I cannot share the samples just yet that use the Sample Oscillators...
But once permission is granted, you'll like the sound, and then I'll only have some vocal stuff left to get.
I am trying to have a Bank of samples that has Strings, Vocals, and Kyma waveform morphs all in one pool to use for presets.